Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 year old GD wants to try trap shooting with GP. I have a 870 express 20 ga that I cut down the stock for my son that she can use. I’ll have to put a softer recoil pad on it for her Don’t want to scare her off. Any reduced loads that I can use for her that won’t be to harsh but still break clays. Any input would be great. I know there’s lots of you guys out there that have taught you daughters to shoot. 11’s not to young for a girl is it ?

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I have a 10 year old grandson that will start busting some clays this year. 20 gauge 3/4 ounce loads in a youth model Winchester pump with modified choke. Same gun I used to start my now 35 year old son with. He already does bow and arrow, bb gun & .22 rifle. Ready for the next step!

·
Registered
105 Posts
View attachment 1652451
These are a nice load to start with. see what her interest level is.

Its All Good

West
I have a box of them in 12ga. They have a feather on the side of the shell. It's the older style AA box design. I tried them as a first shot in doubles once, just wanted to see if they would set the trigger for the second shot.

If it's a first time shooting a gun, but they don't want the kick, I used the mini-shells just for a couple shots. Too expensive to shoot a full round with them.

Good luck and break them all!

John

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a box of them in 12ga. They have a feather on the side of the shell. It's the older style AA box design. I tried them as a first shot in doubles once, just wanted to see if they would set the trigger for the second shot.

If it's a first time shooting a gun, but they don't want the kick, I used the mini-shells just for a couple shots. Too expensive to shoot a full round with them.

John
Mini shells ??

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mini shells ??
Federal and Agulia put them out. They are more of a novelty than anything useful. I think they come in 7.5s, 1200 fps in an 1 3/4" hull. They have them as slugs and buckshot as well. Half the recoil, half the report.

A video on YouTube had them hitting 50 yard crossers in Sporting Clays with them.

John

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
My 11 year old GD wants to try trap shooting with GP. I have a 870 express 20 ga that I cut down the stock for my son that she can use. I’ll have to put a softer recoil pad on it for her Don’t want to scare her off. Any reduced loads that I can use for her that won’t be to harsh but still break clays. Any input would be great. I know there’s lots of you guys out there that have taught you daughters to shoot. 11’s not to young for a girl is it ?
11 to young?? Heck no
Teach away and be patient. And most of all have fun!!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
My 11 year old started shooting last month with us. She is shooting an A400 20ga. I sent it to Tron to cut the stock down for her. With regular target loads the recoil is a little snappy. But I found some Noble Sport low recoil loads that are pretty soft and not too pricey.
15819113525173306138266948303240.jpg
1581911522642769069385787887960.jpg
IMG_20200216_170500.jpg

·
Registered
191 Posts
My 11 year old started shooting last month with us. She is shooting an A400 20ga. I sent it to Tron to cut the stock down for her. With regular target loads the recoil is a little snappy. But I found some Noble Sport low recoil loads that are pretty soft and not too pricey. View attachment 1652543 View attachment 1652545 View attachment 1652547
If I may make one more suggestion.......remove that "Mole Skin" and replace it with the self sticking craft foam. You can get it at Wal-Mart in the craft section.
It quite cheap, doesn't appear to harm the gun and is a LOT SOFTER to the cheek. It can be layered as well.
And it comes in colors......Pink and Purple are always a little girls first choice :)

·
Registered
975 Posts
If I may make one more suggestion.......remove that "Mole Skin" and replace it with the self sticking craft foam. You can get it at Wal-Mart in the craft section.
It quite cheap, doesn't appear to harm the gun and is a LOT SOFTER to the cheek. It can be layered as well.
And it comes in colors......Pink and Purple are always a little girls first choice :)
Thanks, I was trying to get an idea of the thickness I need and then I'll order a cheek eez pad. The craft foam sounds like a good idea too.

Reactions: nag

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks, I was trying to get an idea of the thickness I need and then I'll order a cheek eez pad. The craft foam sounds like a good idea too.
It's a good inexpensive fix. A pack of 50 colored pads costs around $5.
I've coached for a long time and experience has taught me that sometimes one pad is not enough, but we always start with one.
Remington guns almost always require 2 pads to get a nice 60/40 pattern......provided the shooter keeps his or her head tight on the stock.
Make sure to round off the edges of the pad.

P.S. we hosted a Nora Ross clinic a while ago. She liked this fix so much, she now carries pads with her for her clinics and uses them to help with gun fit. :)

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I had the opportunity to let my students shoot with Kent Elite target shells in 12ga and they could not believe how minimal the recoil was in the 12ga. If you have access to try these may be just what you are looking for. Reasonably priced as well.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
You're a good grandparent for introducing your granddaughter to clay target sports. When they are old enough, I intend to do the same with mine.

IMO, it's a mistake to start out a youngster with anything other than a gas operated semi-auto. With young kids (and women too), when they are first starting out, the softer shooting the gun is, the better.

A pump has way more recoil than the same load shot out of a gas semi.

Quickest way I know of to turn off a new shooter is to hand them a gun with excessive recoil.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're a good grandparent for introducing your granddaughter to clay target sports. When they are old enough, I intend to do the same with mine.

IMO, it's a mistake to start out a youngster with anything other than a gas operated semi-auto. With young kids (and women too), when they are first starting out, the softer shooting the gun is, the better.

A pump has way more recoil than the same load shot out of a gas semi.

Quickest way I know of to turn off a new shooter is to hand them a gun with excessive recoil.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!
Thanks “ Clay “ but it’s all I have for her that she could swing for her size. I’m going to do everything I can recoil pad wise and load wise I can think of to make it fun for her.
I sure wish she would break her very first bird then she’d be hooked. Lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts