Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 year old GD wants to try trap shooting with GP. I have a 870 express that I cut down the stock for my son when he started. Going to have to put a softer recoil pad on it and find a load that won’t make her want to stop but still break some clays. What are some thoughts on this ?
Any other ideas “ on this subject “ are appreciated. Lol.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Ouch...sounds painful. All locked breech guns (pumps, O/Us, SBTs, etc) are going to have greater felt recoil. How about a good, recoil-absorbing, gas-operated gun, like an 1100 with light 7/8oz loads? A good one, though harder to find, would be a standard frame 1100 in 20ga.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch...sounds painful. All locked breech guns (pumps, O/Us, SBTs, etc) are going to have greater felt recoil. How about a good, recoil-absorbing, gas-operated gun, like an 1100 with light 7/8oz loads? A good one, though harder to find, would be a standard frame 1100 in 20ga.
I already have this one so I’m going to doctor it up the best I can. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Claybuster makes a 3/4 ounce 12 ga wad (CB 0175-12) and provides reloading data for that wad. I've made hundreds of them for my wife using 14.5 grains of Extra Lite and # 8 and 8.5 shot. They work extremely well out to 30/35 yards. JPM

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Claybuster makes a 3/4 ounce 12 ga wad (CB 0175-12) and provides reloading data for that wad. I've made hundreds of them for my wife using 14.5 grains of Extra Lite and # 8 and 8.5 shot. They work extremely well out to 30/35 yards. JPM
That’s good to know once my bench gets up and running. Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I started my kid out with a reduced load. As we kept shooting I worked the load up to what I had been shooting. Finally after several weeks he asked to increase the load. I told him he had been shooting it for two weeks now. The smile was priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
I was gifted a bunch of the 12 ga 3/4 oz wads a while back. I was pleased with the results. Minuscule recoil, broke the bird well, cheap to load. 16 gr Red Dot, IIRC.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I shoot 3/4 oz. 20 gauge loads in my light SXS. I use a WWAA20 wad clone that has a lump in the wad cup to make it only hold 3/4 0z. of shot. They are sweet shooters. I think Downrange makes the wad.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I started my kid out with a reduced load. As we kept shooting I worked the load up to what I had been shooting. Finally after several weeks he asked to increase the load. I told him he had been shooting it for two weeks now. The smile was priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My opinion of the above quote is that CReddy had the child use a light load until the child developed a good gun mount. Having a good gun mount IMHO is the best recoil reducer. Do you agree CReddy?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts