Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nation’s Largest Teachers’ Union Funds Ads Accusing 2nd Amendment Supporters of Being Pedophiles

November 27, 2013 by Daniel Greenfield

The NEA, the nation’s largest teachers’ union, is really staying classy in the Colorado recall battles pitting supporters of the Second Amendment against their elected officials.

In a desperate effort to convince Coloradans not to sign any more recall petitions, the Democracy Defense Fund distributed these door hangers accusing the petition collectors of being criminals and pedophiles.

Though Colorado Democrats have denied any connection to the door hangers, the Democracy Defense Fund lists Kathryn Wallace as its registered agent. Wallace has run for office several times and appears to be affiliated with the Jefferson County Democratic Party.

More significantly, the Democracy Defense Fund is drawing its money from reliable liberal donors. Mainly unions who play power games with the forced contributions of workers.

Finance reports filed late Monday night reveal the Democracy Defense Fund, which is backing Hudak, received about $120,000 in the reporting period from Oct. 21 until Nov. 19.

A snapshot of the reports reveals the NEA Fund for Children and Education, a Washington, D.C. – based political action committee, bankrolled the group with $25,000 and the union AFSCME doled out $20,000. Colorado’s AFL-CIO contributed $15,000, while the International Association of Firefighters contributed $10,000.

Last week, Recall Hudak Too, the group looking to oust Hudak, reported raising $64,600 in the same time frame, with most of the money coming from hundreds of small dollar contributors.

So the NEA Fund for Children and Education is intervening in a Colorado local election to help fund accusations that citizens who favor recalling anti-Second Amendment politicians are pedophiles.

brianinoregon_2008_0303335.jpg

Click here to see a very large copy

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
" Mainly unions who play power games with the forced contributions of workers."

Brian, Please post your source that union force contributions for political purposes.

Then when you're done scratching your head in vain please read the above website.

The union I belong tells members about these rights and many of us have elected to exercise them!!

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
My wife did not want to contribute the portion slated for political purposes.

She had do the op out paperwork yearly. Almost without missing a beat they would change the dates each year that she had to apply. Something she learned to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good for your local. But Beck and Hudson rights only work if your union decides to make them work.

Our local claims they do not contribute any of our dues to politics. When you try to find out how much of our dues that go to the main union are being spent on politics, we're told by the local that they don't know and we have to contact the main union. Contacting the main union results in either being ignored or being told there are no individual dues, only collective local fees and they don't count. End result is some of my dues are being spent on politics, but the union is hiding this so no one can ask for a deduction. I should not have to hire an attorney and threaten a lawsuit to find out this info from my own union. In fact, another union member asked this a week ago and got blown off by the head of our local. Again. Our local is overwhelmingly liberals, so we few conservatives are not going to sway our fellow members to vote such a question. It will take a lawsuit. This is how nationals and locals hide their contributions.

And in Oregon, we've had a lot of complaints over the years from teachers and other public sector employees about their dues going to political funding and they could not opt out. The law changed here so people could finally opt out of the union, but the unions came up with "fair share' and other "fees" that forced non-union members to still pay dues, often up to 73% of their original dues. Hudson rights are supposed to address that, but the result is that there is a ballot measure proposed for 2014 to have Oregon emulate Wisconsin law concerning public employee unions.

But this is still a side issue from the main point that the teacher's union and other unions contributing money to prevent recall of anti-gun liberal politicians are smearing Second Amendment supporters as criminals and pedophiles.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Can You Opt Out of Your Union Dues?

I joined the United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 1245 as a high school student in New Jersey. Having to pay union dues in high school surprised me. But I was working to save money for college and did not investigate further. I did not know that I didn’t have to give the union that much money.

Workers at unionized companies have the right to opt out of some or all union dues. The Supreme Court ruled in Communication Workers of America vs. Beck (1988) that unions cannot force workers to fund their political activities. I could have kept that portion of these dues.

Employees in right-to-work states can forgo all union dues. Workers with religious objections to their unions’ activities—such as the American Federation of Teachers’ support for abortion—can send their dues to a charity instead. The National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation provides a quick and easy overview of workers’ rights on its website.

Many workers do not know these rights. I certainly didn’t, especially as a teenager. Many also do not know that alternative professional organizations provide many of the same services as unions (such as professional development and liability insurance) at a lower cost.

Thankfully, over 60 organizations, including The Heritage Foundation, joined together last week to educate workers about their rights during National Employee Freedom Week.

Some workers believe their unions do not serve them well. They can opt out of some or all of their dues. Other workers believe they get value for their dues—they have the right to keep paying, too. But even employees who support their unions’ politics may want to keep a little more of each paycheck for their families’ needs. They have that right.

Consider Jeff Richmond, a unionized truck driver in West Virginia. He refused to fund his union’s political action committee. So the union had him fired—only to wind up in court. Richmond won over $10,000 in dues refunds and back pay.

Employees do not have to let their unions spend their money on causes the employees don’t support.

Michael Cirrotti is currently a member of the Young Leaders Program at The Heritage Foundation.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Isn't it ironic that I see more news stories of Teachers molesting under-age students then stories claiming the pedophile to be gun owners? Maybe everytime the teachers union does this we need to list the teachers across the nation involved in these incidents. Turn the tables. Be loud. Be agressive. Be heard. They will crawl back to their teachers lounge. ed

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Someone may need to get a lawyer. While political speech is protected, accusing a signer of a petition of being a criminal and/or a pedophile, may well have crossed the the line into libel.

Although the ACLU will never be accused of being rock ribbed conservatives, they do get on their high horses when it comes to protected speech. Getting hit in the pocketbook is a sure way to temper things.

Best, Dennis

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did anyone notice this excerpt from link likes-to-shoot posted?

<i>Although the Beck rights of union workers are well established as a matter of American labor policy, they go largely unrealized in practice for the following four reasons:

* Most workers simply do not know that they have these rights;

* Workers who are aware of these rights are forced to make the sometimes-untenable choice of resigning from their union in order to exercise them;

* Workers do not have recourse to an effective legal enforcement mechanism if their Beck rights are denied them by their employer or union; and

* Unions, who don't agree with the exercise of Beck rights, often engage in a variety of tactics to delay and frustrate workers who wish to limit their dues payments.</i>

So the irony is, likes-to-shoot posted a link that he claims proves no one has to contribute due to political uses, demands proof they don't work, yet the very same link shows there are unions violating the court ruling.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Printing the pictures of teachers across the nation accused and convicted of sex with students would be great for distribution. The heading on the flyer would be the pot calling the kettle black and do a great deal of discrediting the teachers union. Information on these criminal teachers can be had online. Push them into the cesspool of accusation they have created. ed

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Many LIV's in shop unions get talked into contributing to COPE (Committe On Political Education) which is 100 percent liberal left. they just agree because it's a small amount and it gets the BA off their back.

They do a checkoff of 2 bucks or so a payday. Maybe more these days.

That's over and above the portion of your dues that is spent for political purposes.

The whole thing is like shingles, hard to get rid of and sometimes you don't know you have them.

HM

·
Registered
12,461 Posts
If you can't see the "Communist" in the "NEA/Unions" your not "educated" your "Indoctrinated"

There may be good teachers, just not enough to beat back the "hoard" of Communist one's, ie Liberal one's.

Just calling a spade a spade.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Fox news reports the US ranks twentieth in the world as far as students testing. We spend the most on education and where is is getting us? More teachers unions looking for benefits but not benefiting our children? Time for teacher evaluation and testing and pay based on performance not just showing up for longevity pay. The NEA hires pedophiles is a great heading for the flyers WS-1.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
The teachers can only teach what the administration dictates.

Look at the money we spend in education cost that go past the school system into the hands of the different administration levels. All of these people make 6 figures while the backbone (teachers) of the education system is only at $30,000 to $75,000.

·
Registered
12,461 Posts
trapper, What did you think of the Democrat Talking Head on FOX during that report?!!!!!

LOL, compared teachers to company CEO'S and said they should be paid the same!!!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
In addition to Brian's excellent earlier, exposing-post one has to ask, "where does union money come from"? I've been in a union all my adult life, and continue in retirement. I've been at odds with that union more than I care to remember.

The plain fact is, if you take issue over political donations, the opposing executives simply shift budget amounts to get the offending donations that fly in your face. It's a slight-of-hand, at it's best. A joke in reality. Unions give 'your' money to whoever they damn well please. To think otherwise is to engage in a willful-suspension-of-disbelief (AKA, Obama-voter).

Kip

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Schools these days are top heavy. Assistant Principals and administrative titles abound. There are a boat load of hangers on who teach not a whit.

The local Tech college hired a "diversity liaison" at around 90K a year.

No one can tell me what he does.

And the beat goes on.......

HM

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
As is universally true of leftists, whatever they are accusing the opposition of doing they themselves are practicing routinely, and the practice is institutionalized.

·
Registered
637 Posts
NEA Membership Down,

Non-Union Groups Growing Stronger Than ...
https://www.aaeteachers.org/.../568-nea-membership-down-non-union-groups-growing-stronger-than-ever?CachedOct 21, 2011 ... The fact is the NEA is losing real teacher members who pay the highest ... In
Wisconsin, for example, the downsizing has already begun as the ...
USA's top teachers union losing members – USATODAY.com
www.usatoday.com/news/education/story/2012-06-28/.../1?CachedJul 3, 2012 ... The USA's largest teachers union is losing members and revenue, potentially ...
Association (NEA) has lost more than 100,000 members since 2010. ... over
collective bargaining in states such as Wisconsin and Michigan.
Nation's Largest Teachers Union Sees Unprecedented Membership ...
heartland.org/.../nations-largest-teachers-union-sees-unprecedented-membership-decline?Cached
SimilarMay 26, 2012 ... “There are at least 40 state affiliates that have lost members from the past year,”
Antonucci said. NEA membership peaked in 2009 at more than 3.2 million. ...
series of state-level reforms—most conspicuously in Wisconsin.

Go Governor Scott Walker. FIRST time in years, state of WI is operating in the black!

·
Registered
637 Posts
NEA Officers

Top Ten Highest Paid Leaders

Name Title Total Compensation
JOHN WILSON EXEC DIRECTOR $492,484.00

DENNIS VAN ROEKEL PRESIDENT $460,060.00

LILY ESKELSEN VICE PRESIDENT $371,904.00

JOHN YRCHIK ST.AFF EXECDIR $328,617.00

BECKY PRINGLE NEA SECTY/TREAS $325,384.00

JOYCE POWELL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE $285,673.00