Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught part of the CBS news tonight. In a feature for 60 minutes it interviewed a black minister who was going out door to door urging people to vote. Where is the IRS looking to take away that churches tax exempt status or is that reserved for tea party groups only?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Didn't catch that news but if he is personally doing it and the church isn't being tied to his personal mission there should not be a problem.
The minister has the same rights as everyone else. Things get murky however if he uses church sponsored media or starts organizing parish members to do the same. If you start using equipment or funds from the 503(C)(3) then the line is crossed.

It gets stickier if they were to organize and "educate" people on the beliefs of each candidate (ie abortions, pro choice/life, comments mmade by candidates regarding their religion) but don't actually ask the person to vote for a particular candidate.

Did you catch the jist of how he was doing it?

·
Registered
29,226 Posts
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

One way you can prohibit "the free exercise thereof" is to tax it out of existence. SCREW the IRS, their power to limit religious organizations right to free speech and political involvement is bogus.

Reactions: Leo

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not catch the entire interview and was hoping that someone on here did. Rick....I agree with you on the free speech for church's etc. I disagree with the administrations use of government agencies to selectively punish his enemies which appears to happen on a regular basis.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
I do not understand the whole "tax exempt" hatred of churches.

Churches do not charge to participate. Willing participants take their personal income THAT THEY HAVE ALREADY PAID TAXES ON, and donate it to a common cause. After the mortgage, maintenance and utilities are paid, they pay some of the staff. (I have never been part of a church that paid everyone, many are volunteers, and a lot of the paid staff is bi-vocational to make ends meet) The money that is left over goes to poor relief, education, free or at least subsidized counsel, other non profits like inter city and foreign missions, church planting in distressed areas, medical care for the impoverished, etc.

If someone is an atheist, and decides to write a check or raise funding to the Boy Scouts, child athletics, a university, a cancer research fund, etc. no one cares that the organization is tax free, and they surely do not try to restrict 1st Amendment rights. All the good works are considered beneficial to society. Anyone who has studied Sociology, even at a community Jr. College, will be quick to point out data that the presence of a active church is good for the community. Liberty has never been available where there is no sense of morality.

It is disingenuous to deny a church leader, staff or membership Constitutional rights because you do not personally endorse their motivation. Since churches stand for righteousness, warning other citizens about something evil in a candidate in America, is as much of a civil and moral duty as it is a religious duty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts