Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What speed does your club throw their targets? I know the rules, but I have
heard that some clubs throw a slower target.

Bob L. Wood

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Our club in Breezy Great Falls throws them to ATA specs. I try to achieve a nice bird, but if the weather intervenes, then the best of luck is sometimes needed.

Rick in MT

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
N.J.
68 fps = 46.36 mph. That speed measured at the trap arm should throw the
bird 50 yards, if measured from behind the trap house the bird is going
to land well beyond 50 yards. There are a lot of variables I know so I should
change my statement to say these would be the results at our club.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
If theres clubs out there that're setting 'em softer than ATA spec's (and there are) they're prob'ly not gonna admit it here........just a thought.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I can tell you from my limited experience with Rick (I never knew him when his hair was dark)he makes a point of setting everything just right, and with doubles he takes extra time, seems like too much, but dam the birds are good. Pretty good ol bird setter, that silver haired rascal, watch your wine though, he can make it disappear. Scott

·
Registered
142 Posts
Very often in eastern Missouri the targets are very soft at 41 or 42 MPH and that depends on who does it, which gun is used, and where the person using it stands. I agree that the best way to do it is to set them 9.5 ft. high and have them travel 50 yards. No variables that way. Slow targets are also much more affected by variable wind but a lot of shooters like the soft targets.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
"Our low house is about 46 MPH at the crossing stake, and the high house is about 48 MPH."

Bob_K, I thought the skeet high house targets were supposed to be 46-46.9 mph, and the low house targets 48-48.9.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
MPH is ALWAYS right or an attempt to be as close as possible. The OP did not ask about height. But, depending on wind we use the whole range of the hoop to make the best possible target in conditions.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
I think the ones I miss must be set at least 200 mph. ;-)

The ones I hit are regular speed. I'm sure of it.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I do not know about other clubs but when our stakes were destroyed by snowmobilers one winter we had the engineer from a local paper mill re set them with a transit and a steel tape. Ours are ATA legal.

ctreay

1 - 20 of 21 Posts