Trapshooters Forum banner

Target Presentations

7157 Views 81 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Hap MecTweaks
With a Pat Trap--how can we show more 'Face" of the target during flight??As it is now the target shows little color and more of the black rim.The target appears as an "eye slit". Frustrating!!!!!!!!!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Dennis,

Assuming your Pat Trap is mounted at the correct height inside the house the only way you can set it to show more "face" is to raise the elevation. Then in order to throw the target at between 8' & 10' ten yards out from point "B" is to back off the spring. Either way you're no longer throwing a LEGAL target, you'll either be too high or too slow or both.

Maybe your Pat Trap is mounted too high in the house?

In the interests of civility I'll disregard your comment about "falling off the horse".

John C. Saubak

· Registered
2,987 Posts
ATA Rules, Section XIII.....Standards for Traphouses, ................

B. Traphouses................

It is recommended that the throwing surface (throwing arm or plate) of the trap machine be on the same level as that of post 3 and the target height setting pad.

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Trapboy '57,

I'm sure many wouldn't..........and I suspect Dennis's doesn't & that's his problem? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's really trying to throw legal targets. That's hard to do if you're working with a field that isn't layed out right and/or a trap that isn't set in the house right.

John C. Saubak

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Rick & Bob,

I got an idea, why don't you both start your own thread.........call it "pi$$ing" or whatever. Your silly little feud here is cluttering up what has developed into an otherwise interesting thread.

John C. Saubak

· Registered
2,987 Posts
We're not "treating him as a criminal" Bob. He wondered how to get more "face" and we told him.

There's no magical mysterious way to get the trap to throw targets with more "face", the ONLY way to get more face is to raise the angle of the plate as I said in my first reply, then to keep the target down where you don't need a clearance from air traffic control for the launch you back off the spring. So now you got a 38 mph target that'll go barely over 40 yards. There....THAT's how you set LOLLIPOPS......."lollipop 101".

John C. Saubak

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Bob,

In my third reply, and after it'd become apparent that OP was sincere about wanting to throw legal targets I believe I in fact DID suggest that assuming the trap was mounted correctly in the house there was no LEGAL way to set the targets to show more "face".

Perhaps I shot from the hip on the first reply and made assumptions I shouldn't have made? Perhaps I just get tired of people pi$$ing on my shoe and trying to tell me it's raining? I've been places where they set 'em at 42 mph with the radar gun on a "Pat-Pal", I've been places where they they set 'em to drop at the BASE of a 50 yd stake that was fifteen feet lower than the level of the trap, I've seen "50 yard stakes" that measured 42 yards from point "B". Try to say something and they just ignore you, I've even had 'em tell me that they WANTED 'em that way so people would shoot good scores and then they'd want to come back! I'm talkin' ATA registered targets here. Perhaps I just get tired of listening to all the lame excuses people can come up with to justify throwing lollipops.

John C. Saubak

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Dennis,

Glad to see you're back, suggest you check with a transit to make sure the launching plate is at the same level as the shooting pads. If you removed an old handset and mounted the new Pat Trap on the same platform without lowering it you can assume it'll be mounted too high which will throw targets like you describe.

John C. Saubak

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Bryan,

If the target (singles & hncp) clocks between 40-42 mph then it's not a legal target.

Bob,

IME, simply raising the doubles won't make them stay in the air longer......the only way to make 'em stay in the air longer is to crank up the spring.

John C. Saubak

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Bryan,

When the speed rule first was published as I recall it was "42mph..+/-.5mph". Then it was changed to "minimum 42mph". Currently I believe it's "42mph to 43mph". These numbers are of course as taken from behind the house or the 16 yd line.

John C. Saubak

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Bob,

I'm not 100% on this? That's why I wrote "IME".......but FWIW, if the doubles were set legally and then you raised them I think they'd fall shorter if you didn't put on more spring. Maybe they'd be in the air just as long (time-wise)? The spring is what gives the targets their momentum, if you spent more energy gaining elevation they'll have less energy left to go the distance.

John C. Saubak

· Registered
2,987 Posts
If you've got a wind from behind and the second target's in the grass before you can get to it, personally I'd rather see 'em crank up the spring to keep 'em up than just raise the angle. Of course with either......you eventually run up against the rulebook. Can anybody explain to me WHY the rule spec's 3mph slower for doubles than the speed for singles? Seems to me we'd be able to throw better (legal) doubles if we could throw 'em at least the same speed as singles??

John C. Saubak

· Registered
2,987 Posts
I'm not suggesting different speeds for different days & conditions, Hap.

What I AM suggesting is launching doubles at the same speed as singles. I fail to see what'd be the unintended consequences of that? .....unless, maybe some trap machines would break too many targets if you cranked the spring up that high?

John C. Saubak

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.