Trapshooters Forum banner

Target Presentations

7149 Views 81 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Hap MecTweaks
With a Pat Trap--how can we show more 'Face" of the target during flight??As it is now the target shows little color and more of the black rim.The target appears as an "eye slit". Frustrating!!!!!!!!!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15,172 Posts
Old Cowboy, I was hoping of these professional trap setters would show us how.
Hell, darn near everyone throws a target higher than 17'-4". We've become target wusseys.

If you throw them through the ring at the right speed, and they land at the stake, I guess they're supposed to be close to that max elevation.

Around here, we always have wind, and I do mean always.

· Registered
15,172 Posts
870, I know. Both Field and Clays and Remington have posters and general write ups and "how to build a trap field" that show the target's flight path and heights. We have a Remington poster in our clubhouse that shows the "legal target flight".

Protractors an radar guns are the norm now, but for some reason our birds are now much higher. Everyone want "cushy" targets.

· Registered
15,172 Posts
That was my point too Hap. I've seen some ungodly high birds at some of the bigger shoots. Usually some selfish SOB who can't shoot regulation targets tells the trap boy to raise the targets and they just do it. Then the next squad walks up and either doesn't know any better or doesn't want to raise a fuss about setting the targets back down. Happens all the time.

2 years ago, I got in a piss'n match with one of our "elite" shooters who wanted our trap raised 2 notches. We were shooting doubles, and the targets were on the low side, but legal. I said the targets were fine, but got over ruled by him and his buddies. The result were birds that did not resemble any birds I had shot that year, but he broke a 96. Oh well.

I can see a lot of resets when the wind is changing, but we have to keep the birds with in reasonable heights. It's part of the game!

· Registered
15,172 Posts
Would flatter targets keep the handicap spread more realistic. Are flatter targets on average, tougher targets? How many more handicap shooters may get reductions if flatter targets were consistantly thrown? I would think it would affect doubles scores more than singles.

Many say our targets are too easy. Is that because many clubs throw high targets?

· Registered
15,172 Posts
If the doubles targets are higher, it will take longer for them to reach the ground, and the shooter will have more time to get on the second bird, especially with a head wind. With legal targets and a tail wind, you'd better not be mess'n around with the second target.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.