Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Let me start this thread by stating this is ONLY about shotgun target ammo....don't want to dilute topic discussion with rifle, pistol, 22LR ammo etc.

I am pretty good at keeping ear to ground with respect to Shotgun Target Ammo availability and this year it seems availability is very scarce? I know there are postings every now and then where folks find a pocket here and there, mostly in non-chain stores...onesy twosy type operations and been posts regarding recent Herter's offerings at Cabelas. But it appears to me that the supply of other such as Fed Premium / Top Gun, Winchester AA or Super Target, Remington STS are just not there.

Intuitively this runs opposite to what I would expect as the cold weather should be holding consumption somewhat in check.....it certainly is for me. I would think retail supplies would be growing?

Are folks hoarding shotgun target ammo? Where is it? Am I missing something....besides ammo?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
No problem getting target load shells ... just a bit of a problem in paying for it. The stuff we paid $54/flat last year is now $62/flat and that is in a 100(+) flat order.

I would agree that the available selection is not nearly as good as it was a year ago.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK so maybe I don't have my ear as close to the ground as I thought? There appears to be some supply out there but with that stated you still have to work at it...In years past it seemed that just running in the right circles and frequenting the places you normally do that you would naturally run into deals here and there! Currently that does not seem to be the case (no pun intended).

It just seems like there is quite abit less out there. I mean we're talking shotgun target ammo....not the preppers or hoarders first choice....in fact pretty darn expensive and space limiting to hoard....just sayin'.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
You need to remember most cubs buy the months of November December. I went in on a 7 pallet buy, mainly for this next years registered targets. If most do that well supply and demand. It took 3 months to receive the entire order.

Brady Gies

·
Registered
20,177 Posts
Bought and shot 50 flats this last year and 'hoarded' another 40 flats. It was a struggle to find the ammo and it was expensive. The local supplier had a vary hard time filling a 30 flat order of STS LH loads and from Graf/Gamaliel 10 flats of AA and 10 flats of STS were, after paying freight, so close to $10 a box that it made no never mind. Forget the Bass Pro/Cabella/Sportsman's Warehouse their prices are too damn high. Looking now and there is a distinct price bump up even over the high prices last summer. Club supplier couldn't/can't fill orders in a timely manner and it took some driving to get ammo. I suppose that some of us will shoot even with all the hassles involved in getting the ammo to shoot with and the expense involved but there are a number who won't put up with it and will just not shoot every weekend this year. Pitty there.

Don T

·
Registered
55 Posts
You want ammo, go to the Grand American - Sparta Illinois, either on the grounds through Gamaliel or Wal Mart. Federal-Remington-Winchester, just about anything you want and in the quantity you want and at a reduced price. In the last 3 years, I have purchased enough premium ammo to supply me for the next 7 years (300 flats of Federal plastic and paper). If the price goes up, it won't go up on me. Even if you don't go to the Grand to shoot, go just to stock up on premium ammo. There's not excuse not to have ammo on hand.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I took some time and did a "deep dive" on the Gamaliel and Grafs website to look at their target shell offerings. My observation was that while they carry a lot of target shotshell choices a vast majority is "out of stock" ! Went to Recobs and saw the same ...... So I'm back to my original premise that...
Shotgun Target Loads are scarce...much more so than similar times in previous years and it is not apparent the reasons why the scarcity?????

Seems there may be some hoarding do to price inflation fears or future availability fears but I don't think this is general trend.

I personally don't consider myself a hoarder. If I find a great deal I will stock up but typically buy 2-4 flats at a time.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Unlike powder and W209 primers, Ammo is out there.

Like many on this board I took advantage in 2013 of free (or reduced) shipping and sales at Bass Pros and other retailers.

If your favorite shell is not available and unwilling to switch, or above the price you want to pay your options are?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Normally, I would buy shells 5 flats at a time. Last spring, I bought 50 flats and still have some left. I've made arrangements and will pick up 40 flats next month. The price this year is higher than last year and the prices are expected to go higher this year. The supply was so unpredictable last year and there is a better supply this year, so far. I will have the shells to shoot when I want. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I think we may be our own enemies on the supply problems. I'm not pointing fingers either because I have been doing what Beretta687 is describing which is to buy more ammo than I need for an entire season, usually 40-50 flats at a time. Some shooters I know are sitting on 100(+) flats and still buying big volumes when they can.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wolfram

I hear what you are saying regarding the 40 or 50 flats.....BUT there will always be those guys....shouldn't be a problem.

I know a number of those guys but they have been doing this for a number of years now so this should not create a "new dent" in the supply. Why does there appear to be a "dent" in the supply? where are the new additional purchases coming from. Are the guys you know shooting alot more? Are they stockpiling alot more...than they normally do?

No one I know is shooting much more or buying much more than normal....and I know alot of shooters! I can't believe there are THAT many new shooters consuming shotgun target ammo?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts