Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been helping out at a private club and trying to get targets set correctly. I know all the ATA stuff, but am looking for foot to % chart. The club terrain will not allow for a stake/T-Bar and have been using @ 21% off the table of a Pat-Trap and a small hand held radar gun. I searched on here and didn't see any threads for this and Geometry wasn't my strong suit in school, to convert from 9.5ft at 30ft, to degrees. Any help will be appreciated!

Jeff Graupp

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
21% angle on the Pat trap is about right. Most traps Ive set over time with a T bar/protractor 21% was good too go. Radar will get you the distance you need. Speed will depend on where your reading from .

·
Premium Member
5,552 Posts
Sounds like you just want to solve for a right triangle with a horizontal run of 30 feet and a vertical rise of 9.5 feet. If you use the tangent (opposite over adjacent). you come up with 17.57 degrees.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Is there a high or low spot, dropping down hill 10 yards out that prevents using a pole to measure with? I've only shot some practice on one trap in my years that a height pole couldn't be used on.

I think I recall about 22 degrees being used in that case. For that to work properly, the trap must be leveled, if not it may be off several degrees.

HAP

·
Super Moderator
3,270 Posts
Is there a high or low spot, dropping down hill 10 yards out that prevents using a pole to measure with? I've only shot some practice on one trap in my years that a height pole couldn't be used on.

I think I recall about 22 degrees being used in that case. For that to work properly, the trap must be leveled, if not it may be off several degrees.

HAP
Hap, doesn't matter if it's level, 22 degrees on the plate is 22 degrees. If you are counting notches from trap to trap, that's a different story. :^]

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
With a 42 mph target I like to use 21.3 degrees. That equaled a 9' 3" target if I remember correctly, using White Flyer targets.
The good thing about setting height using degrees on the plate, with every trap set to the same speed, is that the flight path of the targets will look nearly identical. Regardless of varying trap height installation, or forward or back installation.

Will all of those inconsistent trap installations set to the same degree on the plate throw the same height on a T-Bar,, no. They can't, and won't. But you will see the same flight path of the target. Folks will not notice varying trap placements when the flight path looks the same.
A T-bar works only if the trap installations are identical trap to trap. And only if the T-bar pedestals are known to be correct, especially years later after they were installed.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
For what it's worth, I've found no finer creation to set degrees on the throwing plate, than the Craftsman 10" digital level. It's magnetic and fits perfectly between the throwing plate and the turret plate.

If you question the integrity of T-bar and pedestals, trap height, 16 yd line height, the laser feature on the level can be an eye opener.

Lastly, new tools make target setting easier in calm conditions, but this is an outdoor sport, and final adjustments should always be reviewed by an experienced target setter.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Harv, would that mean a 4x4 under the front of the trap set at 21 or 22 degrees would still throw a legal target?

HAP
If you set the trap to 22 degrees before you put the 4x4 under it.........NO.

If you set the trap to 22 degrees after you put the 4x4 under it.......YES.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
For what it's worth, I've found no finer creation to set degrees on the throwing plate than an experienced target setter and a shoot management which is willing to adjust height as the day changes from the 7 AM set or even in response to the preference of the squad.

You can't just depend on the trig because even at 10 yards, the target has fallen in its trajectory, requiring a greater angle to start with than even the Surya Siddhanta would have calculated.

Neil

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
For what it's worth, I've found no finer creation to set degrees on the throwing plate than an experienced target setter and a shoot management which is willing to adjust height as the day changes from the 7 AM set or even in response to the preference of the squad.

Neil
Neil, so if the squads preference is to shoot illegally set targets, that is ok with you? Just curious.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Hippie, of course not. Set the speed with the gun, horizontal angles (ideally) with the Pierce Angle Meter, set the vertical angles of flight of the targets to something reasonable and legal when you do this shortly after dawn. I've set targets for decades and no squad has ever, even once, asked for a change to an illegal target. What kind of illegal (vertical angle) target would reliably lead to higher scores? After all, mid-height is what everyone shoots best, it's it?

Just look, in contrast, at the angle-hardliners. Say at the Grand the decision is made near sunup to set the machines at two teeth above the white line. What if that's too high now at 9 AM, two hours after they are set in different wind conditions? Is squad one just out of luck until an All-American squad comes along and gets them changed?

No, give everyone the same chance,

Neil

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yes what Niel said. I remember reading article that said throw a target that the shooter can break. He don't have to win but his good score, he will be back to your club. Throw him bad targets and he will find another club to shoot at.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Combine Paladin and Neil's comments and there is everything you will ever need to throw consistent targets and have happy shooters. For checking the angles on PAT traps I always thought Pat Ireland had the best method, actually the same as Hap's when he's shooting. Shoot well and enjoy while we can.

·
Banned
272 Posts
At our club the ground also drops off used a laser to figure out how much we use a t bar made out of 1 1/2 pvc pipe we drove a 6' 3/8 rebar into the ground 2' at 30' drilled a 3/8 hole in a 4x4 cut to the right length to take compensate for drop off drop 4x4 on to rod and then t bar works great and you don't notice the rebar when shooting

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the replies, and believe I have the necessary reinforcement info for what I've been doing.

Jeff Graupp

1 - 20 of 28 Posts