Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the search function but didn't find too much information......

My two boys have become involved in the local clubs AIM program (along with me too). The club was abe to get some grant money and with some local fund raising they were taking the team to Sparta. Since this is such a big event the family is going to make a summer vacation out of it. I am active in USPSA and kind of know what to expect with that style of shooting match, with trap and Sparta being as big as it is, what kind of tips are out there for the rookie shooters.

Are there places for spectators (i.e. Mom) to watch from? What are some recommended things to bring to make things comfortable out on the trap line? I think I saw something that said you can drive to the trap line?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
5,447 Posts
It can be hot, it can be cool.

It can be dry, it can be wet.

Take clothing appropriate for all those possibilities.

Spectators can set up lawn chairs behind the sidewalk that is behind the trap fields.

I'm not sure how many banks they use for the AIM Championships, but you can park directly behind banks 8 or 9 through 27 on the east end. Banks 5 though 7 or 8 are in front of the tent vendors so while you can park behind them you can't see the traps well (if at all) because of the vendor's tents. Banks 1 and 2 on the west end you can park behind, but banks 3 and 4 (also on the west end) are in front of the vendor buildings. In all cases though, you can set up a lawn chair behind the sidewalk.

Some people bring "EZ up" type canopies and set them up near their vehicles.

There will be about 1,200 kids plus the attendant parents, so it will be a little crowded in places.

Some of the vendors won't be set-up/open, but a lot of them should be.

Here's a video I shot in 2011 of the east line from Bank 27D west through the parking lot. It will give you a little idea of what the place looks like.

·
Registered
489 Posts
DustDev,
The world shooting complex is in my back yard. I would suggest bringing a pop up canopy tent as V10 mentioned. If your kids don't like to shoot wearing hats, make them bring a hat. Plan on no shade.

You should be able to park within a 100 yd. of your trap. I'm a little lazy, so this year my bride picked up a small foldup wagon to cart all the accessories. You may also want to consider a small barbeque grill and coolers. They will have some Annie Oakley shoots and some other games. If your kids shoot single shots, throw in a few automatics.

If you have any questions, feel free to send a PM. Glad your coming!

regards,

Todd

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys that helps a bunch, gives me an idea as to what we need to bring with us. Should be a fun time!

·
Super Moderator
5,447 Posts
They usually have some get together dinners for the AIM kids on the grounds, but if you have time there's two places off site that are worthwhile:

1) Southside Ribs, on the south side of Sparta. Just take IL Rt 4 through town. It's kind of a gathering place for trapshooters when the Grand is in town.

2) The Pioneer's Cabin in Willisville, IL (down Rt 4 about 16 miles south of Sparta). A somewhat unique place that serves good food in a family-style setting.

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
You will have a great time. Kids and teams from all across the Country. Our High School Team kids always had a blast chatting with the kids from 1000's of miles away who made their way to their hometown for a trap shoot. It's like a summer camp of sorts for shooters.

·
Registered
951 Posts
And most important is be sure the kids have a great time and take in the whole WSC venue in. Oh and you to of course. The Sparta area is full of wonderful, friendly people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts