Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Was that a Nobel Sport primer? I use them, and have not had any problems, but when i remove the empty from the gun, the primer area is hotter than factory loads. Steve

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
It looks like the internal portion of the primer (cup, anvil and primer compound) somhow blew back though the cup, rather than out through the hole in the bottom of the primer. I dont even know if this is possible. But by looking at the picture, it looks like the primer blew backwards toward the breech. Could there have been some kind of obstruction in the primer itself that prevented proper ignition?

John

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
If I was a betting man I would bet this was 700X...................... :)

Reactions: RickN

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
The reason I asked what powder. I have had some of the old CCI " Trap and Skeet" primers that were not coated for longer shelf life do that with slow powders.

My guess is they are not at full power but have enough to push the powder up the barrel before generating enough heat to set the powder off. I called them my "blossom" loads. Drove the games shooters crazy!

I wasn't to wild about them either.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
Nothing new here, happens with factory loads, too. I have some factory once fired 28 STS hulls with the same issue, have seen it often enough with factory ammo to not worry about it.

Have never had it with my reloads, ever.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts