Trapshooters Forum banner

SxS for Trap?

5270 54
I’m looking for 2 guns, one for my wife and son who are getting into trap. I found a nice pair of matching SxS guns made in the late 60s by Miroku. I have a Miroku O/U I like very much so I’m about to buy but come across some articles online that say SxS guns are better field guns and don’t take the repetitive shooting over and over of shooting trap that well and shouldn’t be used for trap bc it will ruin the gun in time if you shoot a lot. I always wanted to own a SxS but no longer hunt birds. Any good advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Reactions: bubbaloo
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
I have one of those Miroku's that I have pheasant hunted with. It is nice for that as it is quite light. Probably not very good for trap as they are fixed chokes and non selectable trigger. The light weight isn't an advantage for trap either.

Jerry

· Registered
2,300 Posts
I have a friend who shoots a couple of M21 Winchesters for trap. One is a 3" waterfowl gun and the other is a 28" M and F. He just enjoys it and is not a high scoring guy. I tried a Fox B when I was way younger. Didn't like it. Did quite well in black powder trap with an old American Gun co double. Had another one that someone had cut to 26" and I used it for skeet. I did have to ream the shorter one to 2 3/4". Kicked like heck til I figured out the short chamber. Partly unopened crimp was my first clue.

· Registered
7 Posts
My son has shot a sxs for trap for years (SKB 200 HR). Has extended chokes and a High Rib (HR) that helps. So, it can certainly be done. But, if they get into other forms of competition, like doubles and handicap, the advantages of the other gun options certainly became more important.

· Registered
1,112 Posts
I've shot SxSs all my life and at this time have three Remington F grade SxS trap guns - at least that's what's stamped on the right barrel. Back before autos and pumps that is what was shot until single barrel trap guns came out. Many fine scores were shot with them. I find it much easier to shoot 3/4, 7/8, or 1 oz loads. The barrel doesn't kick up so much causing the comb to hit your cheek bone. At least with the old ones with 3" of DAH. The newer ones with a straighter stock would be ok with any load a O/U uses. Any Miroku be it SxS or O/U will hold up the same - very good.

· Registered
6,281 Posts
There were of course dedicated inanimate and live bird doubles with parallel MC stocks, BTFE and even (oh the horror ;) ) ventilated ribs.

Hunter Arms introduced the Double Barrel Trap in 1920 with the 'Trap Package'; BTFE with reinforced barrel lug, AE, Hunter One-Trigger, recoil pad (usually Jostam or Hawkins), and twin ivory beads. The vent. rib was introduced in 1925. With a 32" barrel is only weighed 8 - 8 1/4 # however

The turn-of-the-century live bird competitors used guns limited to 8#, and often less

March 2, 1894 Riverton vs. Carteret
Fred Hoey - Purdey, 7# 8 oz., 48 gr. “Schultz”
Charles Macalester - Purdey, 7# 5 oz., 50 gr. “Schultz”
Capt. A.W. Money - Greener, 7# 8 oz., 45 gr. “E.C.”
George Work - Purdey, 7# 8 oz., 48 gr.
Edgar Murphy - Parker, 7# 6 oz., 42 gr.
T.S. Dando - Parker, 7# 6 oz., 3 1/2 Drams
H.Y. Dolan - Scott, 7# 8 oz., 48 gr.
R.A. Welsh - Churchill, 7# 9 oz., 49 gr.

Murphy's was 3 Dr. Eq., but the others' were 1 1/4 oz and 3 1/2 Dr. Eq., which in an 8# gun would have 27 ft/lbs of free recoil.
1 1/8 oz. at 1200 fps in a 10 pound trap gun = 16.2 ft/lbs

This fella did pretty good with his Smith double, but most of would do better in competition with dedicated trap guns.

Good thread
Side by Side Trap Shooters

· Premium Member
2,414 Posts
The old timers shot the hell out of LC Smiths. They’re about bomb proof if you have the stock glassed and it helps to start with one that’s not cracked. If you do this to a lightly used one I doubt you’ll ever where it out. The wood cracked behind the aide plates because it shrinks over time and the screws aren’t kept tight. They’re very well made guns. I’ve put several thousand through mine and it’s been great.

· Registered
6,281 Posts
Sporting Life February 20, 1897
Page 19
Dr. Hinkins of Chicago, has an L. C. Smith gun that was formerly used by Rolla Heikes. This gun was fired 60,000 times while in the possession of Mr. Heikes and has had over 15,000 shots fired from it since that time by Dr. Hinkins. This goes to show what the L. C. Smith gun will stand, as it is still tight and strong us a new gun.

Not a lot of shells compared to today's shooters and guns, but they were mostly 1 1/4 oz. 3 1/2 Dr.Eq.

· Registered
1,338 Posts
I love SxS's for hunting, but they are a bit whippy and light for all but the occasional 're-acquaintance' round of Trap right before the season. I'd look at Browning and Beretta basic O/U's or the BT-99 for Trap.
Entropy hit the nail on the head with his suggestions as leave the SXS for classic Trap events/fun shoots.

I shot my SXS during the winter and used a leather hand guard over the barrels that fits over the end of the forearm as SXS barrels heat up and splinter forends not enough wood to avoid your fingers. from feeling the HEAT. Those SXS manufactures that offered full beavertail style forearms on Trap models was for that reason if not our SXS guru Drew can add more on the matter.

· Registered
968 Posts
I started off trapshooting with an English SxS in 1962 and in the late 60's I had a Miroku SxS for a while. It got traded for a Miroku 800 O/U which I still own as well the English SxS. These SxS are not guns for anyone that really wants to be a serious Trapshooter, but they are fun to shoot. If you shoot a 100 trap targets with a 6 1/2 llb gun with a thin plastic butt cap you will have a sore shoulder. Keep the SxS for hunting or Sporting Clays and enjoy the fun shooting them, but if you want to shoot trap, buy a trap gun.
Devonian.

· Registered
6,281 Posts
Rolla Heikes solved the hot barrel problem in 1901
Page 14

Walter Ewing (Individual Gold) and George Beattie (Silver) at the 1908 London Olympics

A loooong hand guard on right

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.