Switching to Lefty need help | Trap Shooters Forum
  1. Recently members have been receiving an email about confirming their account. Do not click the link. If you have done so and entered your login information, change your password immediately, and ensure the email address on your account is correct. This is a phishing scam designed to take your login information. Details here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/confirmation-email-warning.694601/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Members are required to have 50 posts before using the Classifieds Area, or PM system to contact. Any subversion of these rules will result in action taken against your account. The rules are posted here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rules-for-using-the-for-sale-by-members-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Switching to Lefty need help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BadaBing11, Jun 30, 2020.

1. BadaBing11

BadaBing11 Well-Known Member

I found out yesterday that i have a torn up rotator cuff in my right shoulder, Doc says shotgun not good for it . I want to give the shoulder some time before I even consider surgery, so I'm gona try to make the switch to left handed.

The biggest problem I have is recognizing when I have the gun mounted properly. It seems the head position and cheeck weld are so foreign that I can't tell when its right. Any clues to figuring this out? Once I know the feeling, I can practice the mount to make it repeatable .

I am very out of sorts here. Any advice from those who have accomplished it, or coached a person through it would be appreciated .

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Is your gun stock “neutral” or a stock made for a right handed person?

BadaBing11 thanked this.
  3. BadaBing11

Right now my stock is neutral. I have a Browning Maxus semi auto with adjustable comb and pad. And a Citori 725 with adjustable comb and pad. I think the 725 is neutral as well but not sure if they come with cast off as standard for righties.

The Maxus has shims to adjust cast, but I think I can accomplish the same thing with adjustable comb and a pad adjuster, right?

4. turbo38gn

turbo38gn Well-Known Member

I feel for ya, I have recently transitioned to lty from rty due to a right eye problem.. I have a 725, it only had the right hand palm swell which didn't affect my grip or mount. I adjusted the comb and butt plate opposite to my right hand hold and have just worked on setting my body to stand opposite of what I did rty.I started out with a 15 the 1st round and have shot as good as a 24 since..it takes lots of concentration for each shot to do it.. but it gets easier every round. it starts out with me getting my feet and body right on the line 1st, then mounting the gun and getting comfortable before calling for the bird. If you set your feet and body, mount your gun then it's a matter of moving to the bird which can be a little tricky with all the muscle memory from shooting rty all my life.. You can do it, just have to remember to take your time getting set up... and staying focused..

BadaBing11 and hotrodyankee thanked this.
  5. red_barron1976

red_barron1976 Active Member

I second what turbo38gn said. The other thing that is very hard at the beginning is recoil. You will develop a flinch if you do not start out with light loads. I have the switch a few years ago due to problems with my right eye. Took about 3 years to get back to where I was with a shotgun. Still getting there with a rifle. I shoot high power rifle matches so the lefty thing takes other things like loading a M1 garand in prone left handed that is a challenge.

BadaBing11 and turbo38gn thanked this.
  6. RJG53

RJG53 Member

My son in law made the switch due to left eye dominance, although he did this very early on when just beginning to shoot so he didn’t have a long history of mussel memory to change. The best thing he did to speed up the transition to make it feel more natural was repetition of the mount, accomplished by leaving his gun (Barrera 303) leaning against his living room wall and he would stop and mount the gun about 10 times every time he walked by it, leading to hundreds of time a day. It didn’t take him too long to make it feel natural.

7. jansonuhl

jansonuhl Well-Known Member

First thing to do is mount the gun with your eyes closed until it feels right and then open your eyes and see where the beads are. If they line up then it is just a matter of time until the mount is comfortable. If not then if you have an adjustable comb, move it until the beads line up. Then you need to trust your brain as it will tell you when to pull the trigger. At first you will be hesitant but you will get over it with practice. I went through this exact thing and i now shoot as well from both sides. Stick with it and be patient. It will come. Gud luk

BadaBing11 thanked this.
  8. Houndog

Houndog Active Member

Learned to shoot when I was 11 or 12. Although I am right handed the person who taught me discovered that I was left eye dominant and decreed "you shall shoot left-handed". So I've always shot rifles left handed. Never done it any other way. Honestly, I've always felt it was an advantage. Why wouldn't you want your stronger arm holding the front part of the rifle/shotgun, which is heavier?

Really, it's just a matter of practice and getting comfortable with the change. Advice that you practice mounting makes sense. 10 minutes a day for a month and your mounts should become pretty consistent and start to feel comfortable. Make sure you are holding the gun tight into the shoulder. Dry firing so you get used to pulling the trigger with your left hand probably a good idea. Finally, although I've personally never used it, a lot of people seem to like the Terry Jordan wall chart. Might be particularly useful if you are switching shoulders, so you get used to moving/swinging the gun from your left shoulder.

BadaBing11 thanked this.
  9. BadaBing11

Wow! If I could shoot a 15 left handed, I’d be ecstatic . I’m figuring at least a year but maybe I’ll surprise myself.

I had forgotten about the right hand palm swell on my 725. I love the feel of that.

My doc indicated that if I got the surgery , shooting a shotgun may not be advised. Anybody here that’s has had rotator cuff surgery that came back to shoot? How did it work out?

turbo38gn thanked this.
  10. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

You can shoot after any of the surgeries assuming they are successful.

GrandpasArms and BadaBing11 thanked this.
  11. turbo38gn

turbo38gn Well-Known Member

I was thinking about the palm swell... I missed it too... so I found one that KickEze sells. It's a soft stick on rubber one, worked fine, but looking back, my biggest problem was my middle finger getting whacked by the trigger guard .... every shot. I just didn't have the grip strength I think, took me 2 months to get past that... It was painful .. getting that fixed. I have several other guns I tried, every one of them ... same thing ... beat the heck out of my finger. I have a BT99AR with a PFS stock, and a BT99...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    BadaBing11 thanked this.
  12. jansonuhl

jansonuhl Well-Known Member

10/1/19 i damaged my right shoulder rotator so bad the surgeons said was non repairable. They could not stretch the muscles etc. far enough to re-attatch them. Options: #1 surgery. Not doable. Option #2 extensive PT (i chose this one) Option #3 apartial replacement. Understand this is a 1/2 shoulder replacement. Was told this option would be on the table with NO guarantee it would work. Good news, bad news. Good news the shoulder has healed as far as it will EVER heal and pain is 95% gone with the help of steroid shots. Bad news is that i will never be able to raise my right arm and hand above my shoulder unassisted. This is true. I am able to shoot a very light gun with my left hand under receiver just either under trigger guard or just in front of the guard. Awkward but it can be done. I am 80 and see no sense in losin another year in recovery from the partial replacement surgery. Gud luk whichever way you decide to go.

BadaBing11 thanked this.
  13. Dr. D

Dr. D Active Member

BadaBing11 thanked this.
  14. Dr. D

Dr. D Active Member

I started with same problem 5-6 years ago and would go back and forth from rt to lefty shooting . When covid started I loaded 14 flats of ammo then started shooting singles and handicap left handed only . After 2 months it started to really click , practice with hand springs to strengthen your left hand, mount gun looking into a mirror to check that your head is horizontal , start on station 3 with straight aways locked so you can keep cheek on comb and stay on it until you see the break. It takes a lot of mounting the gun at home and train your body to do opposite movements with hips leg movement etc. minimum time for that kind of change is three weeks , stock to it you can do it and once the lightbulb turns on in your brain it’s soooo easy!! Good luck

15. BadaBing11

Right Phil. As I research success on this surgery , it means different things to different people. Guys that I know that have had it went through 6 months of physical therapy , three months of it painful. There is a certain % that need follow up surgeries . The ones I know with “successful” surgeries decided to not shoot anymore because the thought of going through A second surgery wasn’t worth the chance.

Have you had the procedure done? I’m hoping to hear from guys that been there done that.