Trapshooters Forum banner

Switching a MEC Automate

1453 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Pull & Mark
Awhile back I bought a used MEC Automate with the universal charge bar. Using 700x powder I get anywhere from 16.5 to 18 grain drops. For practice that wasn't a problem, but since I now need to use reloads to shoot tournament, I want more consistency. Yesterday I talked to tech support at MEC and ordered all the parts I need to switch back to the MEC 1 1/8 oz. charge bar with bushings. Since I never did this before I was hoping for some advice from experienced MEC users. Thank you
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
602 Posts
Check the travel of the new bar and make sure it locks properly when there is no hull on the primer seating/powder drop station (#2). You may have to adjust the nut on the operating rod up or down a bit.

· Registered
428 Posts
Running the MEC bar will improve your shot and powder drops. You will want to find the best powder bushing for the recipe you are using. The is a MEC bushing chart on the MEC website. There is another good one on the Hodgdons website. This should help finding a good starting point.

You will want to have the recommended powder bushing and two others one size up and one size down. The common knowledge of powder bushings is the MEC number is the same a number drill size.

Another useful gadget to have is the red PC10 bottle adapter. It’s been years since I ran the adjustable bar I recall the adjustable setup came with one. Don’t recall if it was the good red plastic model or the grey pot metal unit.

Last gizmo to add is the small bearing that replaces the bushing on the actuator arm where it contacts the charge bar.

Good luck with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
70 Posts
Mec chart for bushing is off by few sizes make sure you weight ur load before to confirm with chart. 700x sometimes weights different between batches don’t mix old and new powder. I think I run 33 bushing to get 17grains of 700x

· Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mec chart for bushing is off by few sizes make sure you weight ur load before to confirm with chart. 700x sometimes weights different between batches don’t mix old and new powder. I think I run 33 bushing to get 17grains of 700x

I run a #30 to get 17.2 grains.
I wonder what causes such a difference?

· Registered
13,535 Posts
I find the Mec bushing chart pretty spot on. Of course if you read the bottom of the chart? Its says all the powder drops are with a single stage loader. A progressive loader should drop about a bushing less. I just looked at Mec's chart. It shows 16.9 grains of 700x with a #28 bushing. So if your using a single stage loader? I'd start with a #28 and a #29 bushing and find which one is better for you. If your using a progressive loader. I'd start with a #29 and #30 bushing and go from there. Their are several charts out there. I only use the chart from Mec!!! If your bushing is dropping to much powder. Just coat the inside of the powder bushing with nail polish to close it up. A full coat of polish should narrow it down about .3 tens of a grain. I never grind out a powder bushing. I buy the next size up and coat it with nail polish. In 5 years you may switch powders and need the bushing back to it standard size. I little nail polish remover and your bushing is factory perfect again. Good Luck and always follow published reloading data. break em all jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.