Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this is a Trap site, but there are also people that shoot pistols.
I trust most of the information I receive off this site better than most of the others.

A friend has a bullet swedger for a 38/357 he wants to sell.

So.... I'm thinking about swedging bullets for my pistol.

Tell me about the in's and out's of this system?

Thank you,
Ajax

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
Don't know the answer, but it's swaging, not swedging.

swage
/swāj/
noun
noun: swage; plural noun: swages
  1. 1.
    a shaped tool or die for giving a desired form to metal by hammering or pressure.

2. 2.
    a groove, ridge, or other molding on an object.
verb
verb: swage; 3rd person present: swages; past tense: swaged; past participle: swaged; gerund or present participle: swaging
  1. shape (metal) using a swage, especially in order to reduce its cross section.
    "the instrument has a swaging head and a pulsed action which flattens the rivet in a series of rolling motions"
    • join (metal pieces) together by swaging process.
      "eye-ends in corrosion-resisting steel swaged on aircraft control cables"

Reactions: charleyj10 and Ajax

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
I trust most of the information I receive off this site better than most of the others.

A friend has a bullet swedger for a 38/357 he want to sell.

Thank you,
Ajax
There are so many coated/plated bullets out there for reasonable prices that unless you have a source of free lead and shoot 1k+ per month it will never be worth it.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I and a buddy had a swaging setup years ago. It was ok for pure lead low velocity wadcutters but hard cast wheel weight bullets were better for higher velocity rounds.
Like Ian said, there's so many bullets available including commercial hard cast that why bother? I've pretty much given up on casting.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Swedging was the guy from the Deadwood series on HBO..
SWEDGIN!!!!! Swearengen and Wu are Hang Dai.

Wu Hang Dai.jpg

Ajax, on a more serious note, if you were getting into shooting black powder cartridge rifles, I would say buying lead wire or casting bullets and then swaging those for the most uniform bullet possible would be worth it for some added accuracy benefits over long ranges 500-1000+ yards. But for pistols, and the typical distances shot with those cartridges, I'm with skeet man and RickN on buying bullets.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Is it a Saeco unit? That swages and lubricates cast bullets. If a person has a tight barrel and out of spec cast bullets, it will uniform them, avoiding leading. I have not used mine in years. I can buy good teflon or copper plated cast bullets cheaper than I can make them.

I did have a set of dies to swage .22 centerfire bullets out of lead wire and 22 rimfire brass. LOTS of work, and bullets that did not perform as well as Sierra Match Kings.

I generally like a little harder alloy in my cast bullets than most swaged bullets have.

·
Registered
104 Posts

A friend has a bullet swedger for a 38/357 he wants to sell.

Thank you,
Ajax
I have to ask this. Are you possibly swaging lead bullets or are simply going to resize and lube lead cast bullets. There is a big difference!

I use to buy swaged bullets and they were the best primarily because they weighed very close in the lot. I did cast many bullets and resize and lube them, but again the real swaged bullets were best and most often powder lubed.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The unit used lead wire. There is a cutter with the set.
It has a press(Herter's) with the cutter.

That's about all I know about the system.

·
Registered
104 Posts

That is enough to know about the system; it is definitely swaging, not resizing. I think you would be getting into something that is laborious, time-consuming and would take away from reloading fun. But it is up to you. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
"Swage" is a variant spelling of "swedge".
Actually it's the other way around. Swage is the proper word.

Swedge is the "often used and mispronounced misspelling of the word swage, so let's call it a word."

From Merriam-Webster:

upload_2020-3-14_13-9-13.png

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Good advice given above...
If you shoot a lot, and the fellow will give you the set up and some lead --- it would be a good.
Otherwise, there are a lot of sources of excellent bullets out there.

On the other hand - if you are a gadget guy and love to tinker, then, if the price is Ok with you it would make an addition to your "stuff".
Like when I bought all the dies to make 45 acp shot loads using .308 cases ….. I will never load enough snake-loads to off set the price of the dies ….. But hey, it added to my "stuff".

·
Registered
4,615 Posts

Run... Do not walk away from that system. Those days are gone and thank God they are.

Reactions: Ajax

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Is it a Saeco unit? That swages and lubricates cast bullets. If a person has a tight barrel and out of spec cast bullets, it will uniform them, avoiding leading. I have not used mine in years. I can buy good teflon or copper plated cast bullets cheaper than I can make them.

I did have a set of dies to swage .22 centerfire bullets out of lead wire and 22 rimfire brass. LOTS of work, and bullets that did not perform as well as Sierra Match Kings.

I generally like a little harder alloy in my cast bullets than most swaged bullets have.
Been there and done that! It was fun to shoot ground squirrels with my own bullets made from .22 LR brass but like you said... They were not nearly as accurate as Sierra Match Kings.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts