Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Imp. or under

Votes: 2 3.1%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using a 67 Broadway in M/F. I've shot only a couple of 25's with the mod and a bunch of 23's and 24's as my best with it. With the full, I managed a lot more 24's and more than a few 25's. I'm thinking it's because I'm too slow and the full is just right with my slow self, or am I just being superstitious? Should I try to speed up and take the bird earlier?

Just with the last league and about 20 rounds of practice, my avg. with mod is a low 91 and with full it is a bit higher about 94. A bad score with mod is a 21 or 22. A bad with the full is a 23. Also standing back in the box at the 17 or even if I try from the 19, I seem more confident and do better with the full. What gives? I thought it would be better to use the mod from up close?

Also getting superstitious about bagging hulls as opposed to letting them hit the ground. Seem to concentrate better if I just let them fly and pick up later.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Have you documented where each barrel shoots by shooting each barrel from a rest at 13 yards using the same sight picture that you use shooting free hand; aiming and squeezing the trigger?

Jason

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ I have read the POI and understand that. Maybe it is the POI but I have checked it for both when I first started and there wasn't really any difference. Maybe I should check again? Maybe it's in my head but I'm definitely more confident with the full. I can see the difference in pattern density at 35 yds but the mod is only slightly more open. I think the POI is probably it.... thank you! The full definitely has more centered hits and it shows. Mod has a lot more partial breaks or poor breaks that definitely not centered.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Also getting superstitious about bagging hulls as opposed to letting them hit the ground. Seem to concentrate better if I just let them fly and pick up later.
It sounds like you are letting it get in your head. If you worry about bagging your empties it may be messing with your mental game. Part of the reason I went back to a pump was my A300 and shell catcher were good about 99% of the time. But if the hull hit the shell catcher at the right angle it would knock out back into the chamber and be a pain to fish it out, and my concentration was shot.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
If you did check that both barrels shoot to about the same POI, no harm in double checking.

But it really seems like it may be mental and/or a better pattern at the break point with the Full choke. You found what works, maybe you should just use the Full choke for 16 yards and keep on shooting.

Jason

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I'm new to trap and shoot mostly 5-stand. I asked a question about Mod vs Full chokes in another thread and we had a mini debate about this. Neil Winston posted a really interesting comparison of a Muller U3 Mod choke vs Carlson X-Full from 34 yards and there was not much difference between them at that yardage. Seems like 32.5 yards or so is the "sweet spot" for a Mod choke. Stepping the yardage out further and the Full choke dominates statistical wise of getting a broken clay since it keeps a tighter pattern which Neil also demonstrated with statistical analysis.

This seems to correspond to what you've found if you're taking the birds out of the house slower and it's probably not in your head. All things being equal you might be pulling the trigger in the range that the Full choke has the better pattern and statistical advantage in breaking the bird. It's hard to argue with the fact that the top ATA shooters use Full chokes.

If you think bagging the hulls is messing up your mental game, just don't do it. Easy enough to pick them up afterwards and not deal with it while shooting. One less mental thing to overcome or worry about.

How did you check POI of both barrels? How many patterns did you shoot and at what yardage did you check this? Did you check at 13 or 35ish yards (or were you usually kill the clays)? Did you do it freehand or from a bench?

Go back to the pattern board and test this out just so you know 100%. That in itself will be one less thing to worry about or have running through you head.

Neil has posted an excellant PDF on Point of Impact & Pattern Testing here: http://www.mn-trap.org/tech_corner/n_winston/Point_of_Impact_and_Pattern_Testing_at_13_Yards.pdf

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Getting superstitious about bagging hulls as opposed to letting them hit the ground?

It maybe putting the loaded shell in your gun that is causing your bad luck. Do you make sure the printing on the shell is right side up?

I have put my hulls in a bag on my belt for about 49 years.

A few weeks ago I went out to shoot a practice round and forgot to put the bag on my belt. Not having the bag on my belt showed me that I don't even think about putting the empty hull in the bag.

On every shell that I shot during that round I automatically tried to put the empty hull in the bag that wasn't there. LOL

·
Registered
77 Posts
The suggestions to pattern the gun are right-on...The POI of the under barrel of my 65 Broadway is 18 in. high at 35 yards, while the over barrel is only 13 in. high at the same distance. These POIs come from shooting off of the end of the rib with lots of gap between the beads, so the numbers are not going to apply to others with different eye-barrel relationships. But, the difference in the pattern centers rather than the absolute values is the important issue - the top barrel shoots flatter than the bottom barrel with any bead alignment in a Broadway (unless someone like Wilkinson has adjusted the POI). My guess is that the flatter shooting top barrel seems to work better since slow shooting typically shifts the break point closer to the apex of the target's flight path where its vertical velocity goes to zero. Back to about 25 yd. the modified choke (which tends to be tight on the FN Brownings) should give good results. Suggest paying more attention to seeing the target and enjoying breaks that will come.

Good shooting, Pat

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Choke for smoke. Confidence is a wonderful thing. As for disruptions, thought is a terrible thing. Both affect concentration, and your description pretty much proves that.

When I shoot an O/U I put a full choke in the top barrel. Whether it is confidence or something else, I always have shot better with the top barrel, no matter the choke. So that is what I shot the singles targets with. Doubles was mod. lower (1st), and top full (2nd).

Reactions: dklees

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have the same gun full on top mod on bottom. I shoot the bottom a lot better with singles and handicap. I gave up on wondering why and just shoot the bottom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts