Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the range yesterday trying out some shotguns. New to shotguns but I'm trying to educate myself right now for a potential buy by end of year. I wanted to try out the SuperNova but the guy behind the counter said I should prob stick with a remington because the SuperNova is a plastic gun and the remingtons are a more solid platform. The range DOES have remington posters and banners everywhere (duh) so I'm guessing he's a bit bias. BTW, ended up shooting the Rem870 with 3 1/2 00. My shoulder is a bit sore this morning and a bit bruised. I need to shoot some others to compare it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The super nova is benelli's way of entering the lower priced market. Plastic stock and lightweight is not you friend for competition shooting.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Nothing wrong with that super nova when my son started trap shooting age 13 that's what we had and he shot it ended up being top shooter in the region that year. He is 19 now and still shooting that gun for waterfowl and he not very gentle with his hunting gun. I don't think he has ever cleaned it I know I did once. I would say its as tough as a 870.
He doesn't use it for clays any more just hunting.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
guns today.....
measured with micrometer
marked with chalk
cut with an axe.

and we still buy them.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
guns today.....
measured with micrometer
marked with chalk
cut with an axe.

and we still buy them.
That's an ignorant generalized untrue statement. There were cheaply made guns in the past and there still are today. There are quality made and hand fitted guns today as there was in the past. From the inception of the firearm there have been all levels of quality and craftsmanship.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I don't target shoot with my Benelli Super Nova. I'll shoot some practice targets before the season to shoot it a bit. There was time I thought I'd ever own a synthetic stocked gun to even hunt with. I shouldered that, it was a perfect fit, love at first sight/feel. 28" barrel, MAX 4 camo, death on ducks and squirrels. Call it plastic or whatever you want. I'm a Remington guy through and through for my hunting guns. The old Remington real 870 Wingmaster is a great gun. The Express 870 could not hold a candle to a Benelli Super Nova.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The Benelli Super Nova is a fine gun. It's very reliable and affordable. I hated the one that I owned because I couldn't hit a barn with it. The gun didn't fit me at all and I traded it in. I own a Benelli Montefeltro and I love it! Benelli has a great warranty with 10 years on every shotgun!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I wasn't crazy about my friend's when I shot it. I have an 870 express and I liked that more so. But a lot if guns have plastic in them, especially entry level guns. If you want all metal and wood you will be paying more.But you have the right idea about shooting them before buying.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Supernova is no lightweight at 8 pounds. Neither is it a target gun. The Supernova is a great and solid pump waterfowl gun which feeds any cartridge without hiccup.
Remington 870 with 3 1/2 inch "00" is hardly a starter load. No wonder your shoulder is sore.
You need to try lots of guns for fit, and decide what is the primary application of a shotgun for you. You will then have a better idea of direction to go.
Cheap or expensive, blued steel/walnut or camouflage, Target style or Waterfowl or Upland hunting - etc.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
If your going to shoot targets, buy a target gun. If your going to hunt ducks, buy a waterfowl gun. Likewise, for deer, and that's what you were shooting, a deer gun.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Got a friend that shot an 870 wingmaster for 30+ yrs, he won a Nova couple years ago at a shoot he now shoots his Nova and likes it. Never asked him why, I just know he shoots it well. Me, Ive never been big on the looks so never cared to try one. Ive got a safe full of 870's but shoot a SBE for hunting.
Great advice+ get what one fits the best........... in the end you'll end up shooting it better and enjoying it more.
Also, Ive never found a pump gun that's easy to carry and makes those 00 buck feel like powder puffs, if you find one let me know.

Best O Luck
Red

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have owned many 870's..old ones good news ones garbage. I also own a super nova. It is a good duck and turkey gun. Too heavy for upland. I have never had a issue with it and it shoots well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts