Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of a 30" MODIFIED TRAP barrel? Gun serial number is M1005 , Monte Carlo, matte finish beautiful wood, roll engrave receiver. I tried Winchester with not much help other than perhaps it was custom ordered back then. If anyone has any knowledge about something like this, please inform me. Please see my later post for a little more info. Thanks, Lee

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Linked article above says that Trap guns came with either IM or Full barrels. Field guns came with 26" IC, 28" Mod, and 30" Full barrels. I have not seen either a field or trap 30" barrel factory marked Mod. Mark

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If it is a trap barrel it should be IM or Full not Modified. Have never seen a "modified" choked trap barrel. Maybe a put together gun?? Would make a hell of a sporting gun!!!

Bryce

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
That serial number looks like it is one of the first guns out of the plant or perhaps a Mississippi Flyway gun. Have you checked the bore with a bore gauge or some sort of measuring device that is accurate? Is modified stamped on the barrel? Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oregunner, Jeff, and Beretta687EELL, I have read this article and probably the best info on Super X1 I have found so far. The Barrel is plainly stamped "MODIFIED TRAP". Two different people from Winchester after I explained what I had, could only tell me that the only way to have a 30" MODIFIED TRAP barrel was to special order it from the custom shop back then! Winchester does not have much info on the Super X1's. I put a barrel gauge on the bore and it measures 734 bore down to 718 choke which should put this close to light mod. The whole gun appears to be unfired in every aspect. I consider this a "Pristine" gun. I really don't want to shoot this if it is a somewhat rare find. I don't think this gun has even been put together. By the way, Jeff, I'm Lee Bevins from Tri-City and Crittenden . How you doing? Also I would post a pic of the barrel stamping but not sure how to. Thanks, Lee

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lee, call Nu-Line guns in Rhineland, Missouri. They are on the web and they purchased all the Winchester parts for the old Winchester guns many decades ago. They specialize in repairing Winchesters and I know that Jerry Stevens, the owner would be able to help you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quail hunter 01, I talked to the very knowledgable girl at Nu Lines about it the other day when ordering some spare parts for another super x1. About the same answers as Winchester as to possible custom shop order but not a standard barrel for those times. I just don't want to shoot it being in this ANIB condition if it was something special. ,Lee

·
Registered
14,695 Posts
On the Model 21's, many of the barrels stamped MOD., had a constriction of .015 - .017.

Those barrels probably shot MOD. with card wads and the old componants of that time?

I have an old Mod. SX-1 in my safe, let me check the constriction. Back to you later.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Very interesting, you learn something new every day. I found a picture of a Mississippi Flyway gun and the serial # starts with MF. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Setterman, interesting, that's the same dimensions and yours is marked mod also? I take it that yours is a field barrel? Do you think those dimensions were within their specs back then for modified? Thanks, Lee

·
Registered
14,695 Posts
My current 21 was .016 for Mod. I've owned a number of 21's and most were .014 - .016 and that barrel was marked MOD.

The SX-1 is a field gun.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Setterman, thank you for the info. That's very interesting that your barrel mics out the same. Lee

·
Registered
245 Posts
You might want to pose these questions in the Winchester section over on 'shotgunworld'. There are some very knowledgeable people there who might be able to help.

Jack

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guys, thank you for your replies. The gentleman I purchased it from was nice enough to trace it back to the family of the original owner. They said, all his NIB guns that were sold were as ordered from the factory. Lee

·
Registered
260 Posts
If the barrel is stamped "Modified Trap" then it was made for a Trap-grade SX-1, probably a special order, and you indeed have a rare SX-1. I don't think that will likely add any value above what a standard, unfired, mint condition SX-1 (with a "Full Trap" choke) would have, so my advice would be to put it to work grinding up targets. It is indeed a perfect SC gun, also a perfect singles gun, and, IMO a perfect skeet gun.

I ran a 30" modified field-grade barrel on my SX-1 Trap for a while and it was great, but eventually put the Full Trap barrel back on. Smokes even the long ones if I point it correctly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts