Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard there is a hand rubbed finish version of the super x model 1 that was made in the first couple years of production. It was mentioned in the december/january outdoor life it said it wasn't a success so winchester drouped it out of production quick. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these or has ever seen one of them before, if you have could you explain to me what they look like

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I don't recall any such factory item but I certainly stripped and oil finished a number of the guns in the other century, really looked nice - heck 25 to 30 years ago....Bob Dodd

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently aquired a field model Super-X Model 1 with just such a finish. It looks like an oil finish with a satin sheen. The gun appears to have been test fired only, Serial Number M2494X.

Regards,

Gregor

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I have the most beautiful stock that I have ever seen on a factory SX-1...its a skeet stock from an early model. It is indeed a satin or matte finish, but it is not hand rubbed oil. Looks real good...too bad it doesn't fit, I'm built for an MC stock so I have it sitting on the shelf...maybe I will put an adjustable comb on it, but I hate to cut it.

Cheers

Stephen

·
Registered
477 Posts
Baron i have a skeet set i have adjustable pad and comb interested in a trade? remove the XXX's

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
1oz - thanks but I'm going to keep this set. I bought this gun from Steve Phillips, VP Sales at Krieghoff. Steve is from my area and we are personal friends. He swears that this gun came from a Win employee, hence the incredible wood (yeah, I know, there a thousand provenance stories about some employee or another of a gun manf...if all true, they never would have had enough guns to sell to the public :)

Its a completely consistent factory stock, just dark reddish brown with a high degree of bold black figuring and a very matte finish. I have five SX-1s, including a factory pigeon grade, decent wood all, but none of them even approach this stock/fore end.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm hanging on to it at the present.

Cheers

Stephen

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Hi Chuck - I will try to get some pictures this week...understand, this is not going to wow the guy out who bought a blank of exhibition English for a custom stock....but it is one heck of a factory SX-1 stock and doesn't look like any of the others I have in terms of figure and color.

Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.