Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me if there really is a difference between a standard 30" FULL barrel and a 30" Full TRAP barrel? Also, when were the plain sided receivers made-early or some possibly late ?Thanks, Lee

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
The difference is in the height of the rib. The Trap barrels have a little higher rib at the high spot in the back.

Ajax

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about internal differences? Any back boring or forcing cone diff? Thanks, Lee

·
Registered
245 Posts
Speaking only to the engraved and non-engraved receivers, you will find them with both late(high)serial numbers, 84XXX and above, and early (low) numbers. I have a complete receiver group, plain-sided, with a serial number of 49XXX, that I had planned to have engraved by Pauline Muerrle, Winchester's last in-house engraver. I was also going to have a custom stock made to my dimensions, and a barrel with changeable chokes. But, medical problems put all that on the back burner for a long time, maybe forever. Finding a non roll-engraved receiver in pristine condition is very difficult, and to find one in perfect shape and to only have been fired very little is even harder. Time isn't always kind to us.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It is true that an unmolested Super X-1 barrel will shoot flat. But it doesn't hinder shooting it well. Like anything else, practice means improvement. If you need to raise the POI, have an adjustable comb fitted to your gun. Then, by raising your head higher in the rear, you will elevate the sight plane for a high POI. Then, shoot the gun until your scores are consistent with it. You will then be able to start adjusting what you need to optimize the fit of the gun to you and your scores will continue to improve. There is no substitute for time on the firing line.

Jack Young

1 - 8 of 8 Posts