Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Copied from elsewhere....

There are two different springs being sold to replace the bands. One is True Flight Springs made by Don Volz in Arizona. They are green. Quick facts about it. Don has had these in service for 3 years and has had two tack weld failures (180,000- 240,000-260,000-148,000 targets each: the remaining traps 5 to 8 are on their second year and 9-13 he’s using up his band inventory. Allows use of existing Pat parts (revert back to bands if desired) He has not had any sprague bearing failures either. Call Casa Grande Trap & Skeet if you are interested. Installs just like band system but does require a hole drilled in the bearing clamp arm. Target speeds don’t fluctuate. Don said set it & forget it.

1601814929115.png

·
Registered
252 Posts
UNLESS YOUR LOOKING FOR SERIOUS HEADACHES,
DO NOT REPLACE YOUR PAT TRAP BANDS WITH ANY AFTERMARKET SPRINGS!

MG
[/QUOTE] mg1polo, could you please enlighten us with your experience? I was seriously thinking of making the switch.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I replaced the Uni-Bands with the steel spring on one machine. It threw beautiful, consistent targets and never varied, never needed a turn of the crank The Pat Trap mechanic, Vince, told me about the problems that he had observed and the expense of repairing the machine. It could possibly need a trip back to the factory for repair. I replaced the Uni-Bands the next day.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I'ii go with Dons springs......Don and I have discussed his spring design vs others for a couple years...Vince also told me he was using several different replacement springs....

Check with Don to see who is using his springs and check weigh them....what a novel idea......before you come to the conclusion, "Springs Bad..Bands Good".......merlyn

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
UNLESS YOUR LOOKING FOR SERIOUS HEADACHES,
DO NOT REPLACE YOUR PAT TRAP BANDS WITH ANY AFTERMARKET SPRINGS!

MG
mg1polo, could you please enlighten us with your experience? I was seriously thinking of making the switch.
[/QUOTE]

Call the Cardinal Center in Ohio and ask them why after less than 1 year, they found it necessary to remove the 50 plus springs that they had just purchased and installed last year and replace with the original bands.
MG

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mg1polo, could you please enlighten us with your experience? I was seriously thinking of making the switch.
Call the Cardinal Center in Ohio and ask them why after less than 1 year, they found it necessary to remove the 50 plus springs that they had just purchased and installed last year and replace with the original bands.
MG
[/QUOTE]
Hopefully it will be a while before I have to replace the band's.
Steve

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Big Papa said

We have installed springs on all of our traps and we love them. The targets are a lot more consistent. There are two fellows in Indiana that have designed the ones we are using. There are great guys to do business with and I would highly suggest dealing direct with these guys. The fellows names are Bobby Hubble (765-969-6604) and Tommy Neal (765-860-6354). You might recognize the names, both are all american shooters. FYI, these two guys installed their springs on all of the traps at the Cardinal Center this spring. Does not cost anything to call them.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
We bought two to try out. We got them from Bobby and Tommy and have thrown over 100,000 targets on them so far. No problems so far. Another club north of us has had a lot of problems. I wonder if some clubs are over clocking the springs and stressing them. I made a limiter to prevent putting more turns on the spring than is necessary to get proper speed for doubles. You might want to make sure club members aren't adjusting the machines. Jmho. As far as the bands, make sure you replace both bands when on goes bad no matter what the other band looks like. You'll save yourself a lot of aggravation in the long run.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts