Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have and will keep my grandfathers S&W model 10 service revolver he used when Deputy sheriff and sheriff. I would like to carry concealed on occasion. Any suggestions on brand and model? I would only use it for protection after getting used to shooting it so wearing it out is not on the horizon. Thanks in advance for the opinions.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ruger LCR, very light, very reliable,reasonably priced .38 spec. Or .357. Having one I would recommend the .38 Spec. For carry. The .357 is a little to much for this revolver.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I picked up a S&W model 638 Airweight last year and it has become my favorite carry gun. 38 Special +P rated.

·
Registered
732 Posts
S&W Model 442 ( http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757768_-1_757767_757751_image ) I can't think of a better match for your stated conditions. Others may suggest "better" defense handguns, but I believe this one will fit your particular needs. -Ed

·
Banned
408 Posts
Any colt revolver smith and wesson 36. or 60. Or any all steel variant. I'm not a big fan of alloy or polymer lightweight models they tend to kick and do not allow you to re- acquire the target quickly . Also the ruger sp101 is a good choice

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I, personally, pack a S&W 642. My parameters were the same as yours, and after a few "trial and error" guns, I found the 642 to be the best of the best.... Just my opinion..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Supporting Vendor
5,510 Posts
I like the S&W 638. It allows single action firing. Great pocket carry pistol. Trigger is just as good as the Ruger LCR.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
If I were to get a J frame, it would be the 638.

My sister has the Model 38, which is the same thing, but blued steel with a black aluminum frame.

My usual concealed carry revolver is an old S&W Model 12, which is an aluminum frame version of the Model 10, with a 2" barrel. Fits my hand better.

I don't care for the 49 series. I like the option of cocking the hammer.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
I too have a 638, with a crimson trace--it used to be my carry gun--had an action job on it. it is now the night stand gun

My carry gun is now a springfield arms ads in 45 acp

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
32 Posts
I carry the Glock 19 Gen 4,

9 MM compact pistol (easy carry)

15 Magazine Cap.

40,000 officers in the NYPD can't all be wrong.

WTB--Advantage Arms .22 LR conversion kit for the above gun.

Thank you,

Jere Clamp

·
Banned
8,351 Posts
I have a S&W Mod 36 that I have had for ever ... Its easy to conceal, will take all of the + p's I can throw at it and more ... I have a Deep Conceal holster that I carry my Glock in that works out very well if I leave the snubby home ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
The 19k officers of the NYPD had no impact on the choice of issue firearm--I personally feel the 9mm is a lousy cartridge for a high density urban environment. 45 acp would be much better--in recent shootings more bystanders were injured than the perps. An auto loader is a much better choice than any revolver for police duty--where one person can encounter multiple adversaries.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
So 6, 7 or 8 rounds of 125 gr .357, which is king of the heap for one shot stops, is inferior to 15 rounds of 9mm or 8 to 12 rounds of .45 ACP?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Newer Model 60 or 640 in 357, bobbed hammer on the 60 and a trigger job. Shoots target loads on up to 357 for serious social work. Take a good look at the new "Short Barrel" loads. They seem to perform fairly well in a 2" barrel. Shrouded hammer models are also a good choice for snag free draws.

I'll keep my Sig P220 and 1911s and try to figure out how to hide them. I like the .45 since it has already attained the diameter desired of the expanding 35 calibers. I also like the way a decent 230 Grain +P premium HP load knocks a clay block off of my table and cuts a tunnel you can throw a cat through. There are many effective defense rounds and firearms available and a lot of it is personal choice. I like an auto, since it lays flat and is easy to reload or unload. 357 Sig, 40 S&W, 10MM, 45 Auto, 45 Super, are all candidates for dispatching "pests". I also have a collection of revolvers, both small and large, that might be on hand for one reason or another. Whatever you carry, be sure it is reliable and effective enough to bet your life on.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I own several pistols, both semi autos and wheel guns. By far the best pistol I carry is my Ruger LCR 38 special +P. It's very light weight and easy to shoot and I can carry it in my front pocket. I bought a Sticky Holster and now I carry it in my back pocket and looks just like a wallet. Another nice thing about a wheel gun (revolver) is that, all you have to do is pull the trigger. If you ever need to use this, the last thing you want to worry about is chambering a round or wondering if there is one in the chamber. A good friend of mine, that has never shot before, went to the range with me and now he owns one too. You won't be sorry!!!

·
Registered
14,694 Posts
By size...Sig 238, then Sig 938, and if you want bigger...Kimber Pro-CarryII.

Some days a pocket pistol makes sense. Some days, not.

Depends what you are wearing, and where you'll be.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts