Trapshooters Forum banner

Suggestions for O/U shotgun vise

2167 Views 12 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  mallard2
I am looking to get a new vise to use for occasional gunsmith work on my guns.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,990 Posts
I’ve got a “Tipton Ultimate Gun Vice”. It currently resides in my attic. I find it to be kind of cheap and flimsy. Pass on that one, and see what others like.

· Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I have a "Versa Vice I purchased from Brownell's years ago. They now carry the same Parrot vise shown in the link above for much less than I paid for the Versa Vice. I do not know if the quality is the same but the pics are identical. I like mine and use it all the time. I made a set of padded jaws so I can clamp up gun parts without marking them. The price from Grizzly and Brownell's are about the same. Regards, Bob
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bicycle part Gas

· Premium Member
1,336 Posts
The reviews on Brownells are anything but glowing. The big difference between what they have now and the Versa Vise is shown in the photo above; the Versa is "Made in USA". What they sell now is made out of Chinesium, and chunks seem to fall away by less applied force than Lunar gravitation imparts upon your workbench.

Probably best to find an older USA made vise.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, after the posts here, I found out that Versa Vise, or a descendant of that, is still made in the original plant in Ohio. I plan to get that vise.

B.T.W..Chinesium must be a newly discovered element...hopefully is not radioactive ;)

· Registered
2,035 Posts
Actually, after the posts here, I found out that Versa Vise, or a descendant of that, is still made in the original plant in Ohio. I plan to get that vise.

B.T.W..Chinesium must be a newly discovered element...hopefully is not radioactive ;)
That's exactly the one I have. No problems with it at all.

· Registered
260 Posts

Per your link:
"This vise is currently assembled in our facility in Canal Fulton, Ohio. In order to keep the vises quality and price at an optimum level, some pieces are machined in house at Jon-Mar Gear and Machine while other pieces are imported from all over the globe."

· Premium Member
815 Posts
If you want a good vise go the Wilton site and look at the Bench Vise section. Most of these Gunsmith vises are junk and you can get all kinds of magnetic rubber, plastic and aluminum vise jaws at amazon, ebay etc. You can also make some from wood and carpet. A good quality vise is like a quality shotgun only the vise will last longer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.