Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hunting a "walk in only" area with my grown son. No vehicles, boats or permanent blinds. Great shooting but a long walk, some through waist deep water that you then spend the day standing/sitting in. I would like your suggestions for a light weight auto loader. No need for a 3.5" gun, 3" will be big enough.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Don't discount a 20 ga. I have a friend who has hunted ducks exclusively with a 20 for several years. Some of his hunting is under the conditions you describe where ducks will be in your face, rarely outside 20 yards. He never fails to get his ducks. He is an exceptional hunter, caller and shot.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
All the guns I have are within a pound of each other so I don't think one is going to rise to the top.

When I hunt the slews like this I hunker next to two trees that my gun can span. I take screw in deer hunting tree steps and lay my gun across them. I take another one and put it in a tree to hang my back pack. That way I am not holding anything while waiting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Benelli Super Black Eagle. I have had mine for 14 years now. I have used it from everything from competing in sporting clays tournaments to hunting ducks and geese in the TX/LA marshes. It has never let me down.

Take the time set it up to fit you.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Good choice! Another would be a Benelli M2. I have a M2 20ga as my designated turkey gun. With the right loads and choke a 20ga M2 would be a lightweight duck killing machine
Benelli Super Black Eagle. I have had mine for 14 years now. I have used it from everything from competing in sporting clays tournaments to hunting ducks and geese in the TX/LA marshes. It has never let me down.

Take the time set it up to fit you.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I hunt Arkansas green tree timber, have been using a Winchester Super X-2 26" for years, have never thought I was over/under gun, a sling is a must. improved cylinder choke works just fine.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I don’t think you can beat the Beretta especially when you factor in resale value. Not that you’d ever sell it but if you do it’ll be the easiest and get the biggest return.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I have used the Benelli M2 in 12 ga.for five years under the SAME conditions you describe.
I have been TOTALLY SATISFIED with the gun and it’s performance!!!
I use the IC choke over decoys.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Forgot, if you are capable, take a clamp on tree stand with you to give you a place to sit. I have a lightweight one that weighs about 4 lbs and I stuff it right in the decoy bag and throw the whole bag on my back.

PS: This got stuck in cyber space for a day.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Winchester SX4 Period. I own all the Benelli's and now shoot the SX4 you can buy two for the price of one Benelli you will never get the Benelli click you wont get Benelli finger. Oh yes the SX is lighter and when you add a super long Mag. Ext. it wont jam like a Benelli will due to the inertia system the use.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I like the browning maxus. 3 out of six of us shoot one currently. One shoots a win. SX3 the other a stoeger. In my opinion it's hard to beat a SX4 for the the money and dependability and yes there light, easy to carry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
+1 for the beretta auto’s. A400 if you can swing it. 390 if you are looking to save some cash. I see descent 390’s go for around $5-600 all the time.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Hay I'm not saying Benellis aren't any good I shot them for waterfowl for over 25 years in worst conditions MN WI MO could dish out and still do.
They did good but had issues over the years.
When you can buy a 3" Camo SX4 for around 850.00 and have no issues in two years with just end of the year cleaning. I'm sold.
Issues
1 Benelli click thats where the bolt looks closed but isn't. Cause can be shells. Main spring getting wore or it just caught the blind or jacket.
2 Benelli finger this is where the trigger guard gouges your middle finger open on the trigger guard. Vinci just bruises that finger.
3 Tube extensions. I could never put more than 6 to 8 shell in with out a jam up. It didn't matter if it was a cheap tube or a spendy one.
Oh yea as for a A400 great for Argentina doves and sporting clays but through some freezing water, mud and snow you won't be happy.
Just saying.

20201018_095814.jpg
16290.jpeg
20201019_194448.jpg

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I hunt very little anymore, but I’ve have/use/like my AL391 synthetic. Light and reliable with a sling & IC choke. Downside, only holds 3 rounds. I never looked into any kind of extended mag tube... cuz... it’s NJ we’re talking about here.

It wound up under water, and after a quick field strip, and pine needle branch “boresnake” it worked flawlessly the rest of the day. (Yes, it got a complete disassembly at home)

At the price point ($800ish) I think; it is a great gun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts