Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before everyone gets excited, I only follow published loads exactly. I have made up the following load for pheasants.
Cheddite Hulls 2 3/4 "
Ched 209 primers
MG42 Multi Metal Wads
Blue Dot powder 37 gr.
1/4" Cork filler under shot
1 1/4 oz. # 5 lead shot.
Pressure is listed as 10,100
Velocity 1310
This is a published load.
My question is, if I remove or reduce the cork filler as the steel will be more pellets and the load will take more space but will still be 1 1/4 oz but steel not lead. #1 or BB steel
Pushing 1 1/4 oz of shot with a multi metal wad the load shouldn't know the difference as long as I stack the load to get a good crimp.
Looking forward to learning from all you experienced shooters out there.

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts
Before everyone gets excited, I only follow published loads exactly. I have made up the following load for pheasants.
Cheddite Hulls 2 3/4 "
Ched 209 primers
MG42 Multi Metal Wads
Blue Dot powder 37 gr.
1/4" Cork filler under shot
1 1/4 oz. # 5 lead shot.
Pressure is listed as 10,100
Velocity 1310
This is a published load.
My question is, if I remove or reduce the cork filler as the steel will be more pellets and the load will take more space but will still be 1 1/4 oz but steel not lead. #1 or BB steel
Pushing 1 1/4 oz of shot with a multi metal wad the load shouldn't know the difference as long as I stack the load to get a good crimp.
Looking forward to learning from all you experienced shooters out there.
Not NO, NO WAY IN HELL!
Your being foolish here.
There is nothing compatible, between a steel shot and lead shot loading data!
Different powders, wads and payloads.
Yikes,
MG

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
1-1/4 oz of steel shot is much longer shot column than 1-1/4 oz of lead shot is and the steel shot doesn't deform when the shell is fired. There would definitely be a pressure increase if you s load a 1-1/4 oz load of steel shot using lead 1-1/4 oz data.

The 1/4" felt or cork filler wad under the 1-1/4 oz of lead shot helps reduce the pressure because the shot column compresses the filler wad on ignition.

I don't think you can get 1-1/4 oz of steel shot in a 2-3/4" 12 ga hull. 1-1/4 oz of steel takes up way more space than 1-1/4 oz of lead shot. Going from #5 shot to #1 or BB shot will also take up more space and increase pressure. Even if you used lead shot and went from #5 shot to #1 shot or BB shot it would increase the pressure of the load because larger pellets take up more space and makes the shot column longer.

1-1/4 oz of steel #5 shot has about 301 pellets.
1-1/4 oz of lead #5 shot has about 216 pellets.

Just by switching to steel #5 shot instead of lead #5 shot you have a 39.4% increase in the #5 shot pellet count in a 1-1/4 oz load.

The MG42 wad is not the best steel shot wad to use for loading large steel shot. The MG42 wad is the thinnest most flimsy steel shot wad I have ever seen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone for your replies.I am a very careful reloader and always stick to only published loads and shoot them in very good guns. Having said that what I was trying to understand was ,if in a published given hull with a given powder charge with a given multi metal wad is pushing a given weight of pellets would it know the difference of the make up of the pellets. I must say that I stated that I know the steel will take up more space and would have to remove or reduce the cork filler. I will also state that ALL my hunting loads both powder and shot are individually weighed for each shell. (Looking for conformity). I would never switch steel for lead but was trying to better understand the science of shot shell reloading. I do understand how lead and steel act differently in the barrel. I believe that is the purpose in this thread so we can ask questions and gain insight through hundreds of years experience of all of you reloaders and shooters. I am sure i will be asking more questions in the future and value the knowledge of all out there. Thank you from Canada

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are correct on the MG42 wad
1-1/4 oz of steel shot is much longer shot column than 1-1/4 oz of lead shot is and the steel shot doesn't deform when the shell is fired. There would definitely be a pressure increase if you s load a 1-1/4 oz load of steel shot using lead 1-1/4 oz data.

The 1/4" felt or cork filler wad under the 1-1/4 oz of lead shot helps reduce the pressure because the shot column compresses the filler wad on ignition.

I don't think you can get 1-1/4 oz of steel shot in a 2-3/4" 12 ga hull. 1-1/4 oz of steel takes up way more space than 1-1/4 oz of lead shot. Going from #5 shot to #1 or BB shot will also take up more space and increase pressure. Even if you used lead shot and went from #5 shot to #1 shot or BB shot it would increase the pressure of the load because larger pellets take up more space and makes the shot column longer.

Just by switching to steel #5 shot instead of lead #5 shot you have a 39.4% increase in the #5 shot pellet count in a 1-1/4 oz load.

The MG42 wad is not the best steel shot wad to use for loading large steel shot. The MG42 wad is the thinnest most flimsy steel shot wad I have ever seen.
I used it for lead only. I use RSI Sam 1 wad and sometimes Ranger elite for my steel loads. Thank you for all the info
Gerry

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are correct on the MG42 wad

I used it for lead only. I use RSI Sam 1 wad and sometimes Ranger elite for my steel loads. Thank you for all the info
Gerry
Not NO, NO WAY IN HELL!
Your being foolish here.
There is nothing compatible, between a steel shot and lead shot loading data!
Different powders, wads and payloads.
Yikes,
MG
First I would never switch steel for lead!!!! I you read the question the lead load was published and using the same components all power weighed and shot weighed would the load know the difference as it is still pushing 1/1/4 oz. of weight out of the barrel. I have received my answers and now i know. That is what this thread is for . To learn. I want you to know I have reloaded both brass centerfires and shotshells for over 55 years so I am not foolish but I am always ready to learn.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I get all my supplies from AJ at the shoots in Mason Mi.
Supplies are in very short supply here in Saskatchewan. Even Cabalas doesn't carry shotgun powder, sometimes they have primers. Most other gun shops carry nothing for shell reloading. Frustrating. I get wads for Ontario and the other stuff from sough of Calgary

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.