Trapshooters Forum banner

Stuck in the dreaded 22s and 23s

2574 Views 27 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  richie h
Last year I was shooting well pretty consistent 23s 24s with a good mix of 25s thrown in. Running about a 94 to 95 average. This year I can't seem to get out of my own way . Struggling to get 22 ,23.
The ones I seem to be missing most is when a straightaway is thrown from the trap house and I am shooting from either station 2 or station 4 .
I thought at first is was because of having to wear more bulky clothing through the cold months . But we are past that here in New England. I am down to my lighter gear at this point.
It seems like I almost don;t know where my lead should be on these particular shots and am shooting them too quickly and thinking I am behind them. Shooting them almost like a straightaway from post 3. I am creaming those. I am also hitting the hard right from post 5 and the hard left from post 1 well with catching up to the bird and then going past it and shooting. It is almost like my mind is getting mixed up with the ones I have trouble with.
I hold a high gun over the trap house , shoot both eyes open and my POI is approximately 12" at 30 or so yds. I don;t want to alter this part of the equation.
Advise in regards to this would be greatly appreciated.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Last year I was shooting well pretty consistent 23s 24s with a good mix of 25s thrown in. Running about a 94 to 95 average. This year I can't seem to get out of my own way . Struggling to get 22 ,23.
The ones I seem to be missing most is when a straightaway is thrown from the trap house and I am shooting from either station 2 or station 4 .
I thought at first is was because of having to wear more bulky clothing through the cold months . But we are past that here in New England. I am down to my lighter gear at this point.
It seems like I almost don;t know where my lead should be on these particular shots and am shooting them too quickly and thinking I am behind them. Shooting them almost like a straightaway from post 3. I am creaming those.
I hold a high gun over the trap house , shoot both eyes open and my POI is approximately 12" at 30 or so yds. I don;t want to alter this part of the equation.
Advise in regards to this would be greatly appreciated.
Go back to the pattern board. At 13 yards from the muzzle, bench rested, aimed at the crossing point of a “plus” sign. One shot. At 10 different plus signs.

Then come back with pictures. Your gun isn’t shooting where you think it is.

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Go back to the pattern board. At 13 yards from the muzzle, bench rested, aimed at the crossing point of a “plus” sign. One shot. At 10 different plus signs.

Then come back with pictures. Your gun isn’t shooting where you think it is.
I originally patterned this gun off a bench at 13 yds it was 4 to 5 inches high I multiplied by 3 gave me 12 to 15 inches at about 39 yds . I then shot it free hand at 30 to 35 yds and it is about 12" high shooting that way . The gun shoots where I am looking for me . What is your point in dong this over again , how will it help me .

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I originally patterned this gun off a bench at 13 yds it was 4 to 5 inches high I multiplied by 3 gave me 12 to 15 inches at about 39 yds . I then shot it free hand at 30 to 35 yds and it is about 12" high shooting that way . The gun shoots where I am looking for me . What is your point in dong this over again , how will it help me .
How long ago did you do it? Weight gain or loss? It will confirm your gun is right.

· Registered
1,291 Posts
The greatest distance in trap shooting is the 6" between your ears, everyone that partakes in sports goes through slumps, with trap shooting you have to shoot your way out of it, or get a coach or shooting instructor to make sure your mechanics are good, the rest is between the ears IMHO, kill a bunch

· Registered
278 Posts
Those targets bite me in the rear end too if I am not careful. I shoot fast. Probably too fast. I have to make sure that I make a good move and give every target an extra look. I think sometimes it is easy to pull the trigger when the target crosses your barrel without even making a real move. Don't be too fast, they won't get away.

· Premium Member
803 Posts
Must be a Western Mass thing Rich... those are the ones that have been giving me the most trouble too! And it seems as though I always release the trigger just before I should on the right hander from 1 or 2 and swing just past the left hander from 4 or 5 ..

· Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 34” unsingle 0.031/34” Wilkinson o/u with a prosoft
1,688 Posts
I don;t understand what you mean by that. Please explain. I call pull, when I see a clear bird I move the gun and pull the trigger when it appears right to shoot. What is call your shot before making the move.
When a quarter right comes out, say “quarter right” before you move. You may think you are waiting to move after you see the target clearly, but if you’re snapping at the target, you’re panicking and shooting the streak. I will second the recommendation above to move your hold down and eyes out.

Then try the exercise above.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.