Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a NIB BT-99....never fired...purchase Saturday. Took it out to assemble it for the first time tonight. Tried to remove factory installed flush Full choke and it wouldn't budge. Applied all the pressure I could muster to the included choke wrench without running something through it's handle to lengthen it and hopefully increase the leverage. Still no go.....
Applied some KROIL to the muzzle end of the choke and ran some it down the inside of the barrel hoping that it will migrate, then penetrate and loosen it up overnight. Even heated the barrel up a bit with a hair dryer to see if that would help, but no.....perhaps the Kroil needs time to work overnight.

Any suggestions? Shoot it loose?
I'm basically a Klutz on all things mechanical and hate to risk 'boogerin up' this fine new firearm.....

( I know what I'll get from the "shoot any choke as long as it's Full" crowd on this, but I'll have to risk it anyway :)......... )

Thanks for your ideas........

~~~~~~~<'{{><

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I know my chokes come out alot easier while the gun is hot from shooting. I would try some PB Penetrating oil and the choke wrench again first though.

Leave the Full in, its all you need............LOL had to say it...

·
Registered
849 Posts
I had a Moneymaker .780 on a A303 that the choke wouldn't come out of. I took the bead off and stuck the muzzle into a can of penetrating oil for a week. It came out easily.

Buz

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I bought my wife a new bt99 micro.. I nearly stood on my head trying to get the choke out for the first time.. no reason on earth for them to be so tight.. I bought mine from a dealer 600 miles away so I couldnt take mine back very easily..

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
This comes up a lot on TS.com. Do a search on stuck choke. Above link is an example. I agree with Buz, take it back.

It's a moot point for you, but for others watching this thread, always have the dealer remove the choke on any shotgun before you buy it. Inspect the threads on the choke, and make sure the choke screws in and out easily.

Wayne

·
Registered
105 Posts
THOM, put the wrench in a vise and turn the barrel.will usually break them loose.You get much better leverage and won't slip out as easy. Then if that doesn't work soak it in Kroil for a couple days. Hope this helps George

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Good idea George. I will have to mark that one down. Leverage is the key to most problems such as that.---Matt

·
Registered
172 Posts
get a inch cork and stick it in the choke tube. put sum PB in the barrel,stand the barrel on card board. the PB can only pass on the outside of the choke tube threads. this has worked for me. HENRY

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Jack , They install the choke to protect the threads and the muzzle.

Sounds like they are installing the choke with an air tool. Smacking the end of a long handled wench with a hammer should pop it loose. I don't think soaking it in oil will work, it isn't stuck from rust but torque. Browning needs to hear about it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had a similar case perhaps not as tight as yours, the wrench you got with the gun isnt to great my T handled Berreta wrench pushed down pretty hard vertically turned it out.

Pete

·
Banned
287 Posts
My wives new bt99 micro had same problem. Used provided wrench, clamped pair of vice grips to wrench and was able to remove choke.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problem solved !

Took it back to the dealer and he put it in a barrel vise and used the Browning Speed Choke wrench on it. The combination of the two, with added elbow grease was enough to pop it free. STOS lubricant on the threads, and the original choke went in and came out easily thereafter.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions........it's great to have a safety net in place for my reoccurring missteps!

~~~~~<'{{><

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.