Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot some practice rounds today with my first batch of sts hulled reloads. I noticed that about 20% of them I was getting soot streaks around the rim of the primer after firing. Leaving a noticeable black ring on my reciever. Which I know can erode the face eventually and is not a good thing.

The load is
Once fired sts hull (known once fired)
Win 209 primer
17 grain of tightwad
Fed 1203 wad
1 1/8 of Lawrence

Reloaded on a mec 650

Shot out of a Citori Lightning

Reading around the mec might not be seating the primer fully? Or do I need to run Remington primers.

I do have some rio g-1000 for my cheddite load once and toss hulls. Maybe the sts needs a bit more diameter to seal?

Thanks in advance for the help I really like this load soft shooting and hit my first 24 straight with it other 3 rounds where 23's

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
If the hulls that have the soot around the primer seem to have the primer riding a little high, you can try seating the primers deeper by lowering the primer drop tube. Going to Rem primers will solve the seating problem but Rem 209P primers are very expensive. What will help with making sure that the non-Rem primer will seat is to ream out the primer hole with a #1 drill bit.

FYI Fed wads are best used in Fed hulls or other straight wall hulls like Cheddite and Fiocchi.

Try some loading with Win 12AA or Rem Fig 8 wads. But if you shoot better with the Fed wad stick with it.

Jason

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
Which I know can erode the face eventually and is not a good thing.
Interesting. The current shotgun primers in use will not cause erosion or corrosion. Did you compare any of the fired to unfired hulls? Are the primers seated the same depth?

GS

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Sounds like the primers aren't seating. Try what wave rider said. I'm reloading STS & GC with W209s and I'm not seeing that problem. Over 3 years now no issues.
Brent

·
Registered
13,392 Posts
I've noticed the same thing over the past year using Win primers in STS hulls.

Never an issue before.

Only thing that changed was primers, since I am using ones purchased in the past year, don't have any older ones. my guess is the win primer dimensions have changed slightly. This was never an issue using Win primers in Rem hulls before, and the hulls haven't changed since I'm still using ones I had years ago.

My primers are definitely seated completely, unless I try to seat them deeper than flush.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Midi super hot gases will erode metal.
Chedite primers are notorious for piercing on some guns and will eat away the firing pin.

Wave the fed wads are what I could find locally that had a recipe in my manual and hodgens web site that worked with all my other components on hand I have some new ones on the brown truck as we speak.

Does anyone have some rem primers they can measure to see what the variance is? I found the one chart with rio and cheddite vs Winchesters.

I think I might have some older Winchesters Might break out the mic tomorrow and see if I can find anything obvious

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Guess I'll have to start watching that when I start using the newer W209s. Like I said, I haven't yet seen that, but anything is possible. Thanks
Brent

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
17 grains with titewad is a high pressure load on its own rights. Add a 12s0 wad and look out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate the concern on the wads gentleman the only reason I used them is I had 100 or so left over from when I was trying to reload the promo hulls before Aquired some aa and sts hulls.

I normally load with a Winchester style claybuster but am out. New shipment should be coming soon.

Pressure is a higher but within spec and the load is straight from hodgen.

I fired the 100 I made up and am planning on reloading some more sts with a different wad and setting the primer a bit deeper in the hull and see if the leakage continues.

If it does I will go back to aa hulls

·
Registered
165 Posts
Having the same problem on a MEC 650 with GC hulls and the new W209 primers. Old W209 ( copper battery cup ) seated fully in the GC hull, new W209 ( silver battery cup ) will not fully seat. The problem appears to be an increased thickness of the new W209 battery cup rim along with a more gradual taper between the battery cup body and the rim. It looks like these two dimensional changes add up the new primer not fully seating using the press set up for the old primer.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I appreciate the concern on the wads gentleman the only reason I used them is I had 100 or so left over from when I was trying to reload the promo hulls before Aquired some aa and sts hulls.
The perfect sentence to start an accident report.

Reactions: DFBrews

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I have noticed a problem with my most recent purchase of W209 primers compared to an earlier lot. The thickness of the metal battery cup flange on the new lot measured in the .018 to .025" thickness while the older lot measured out at .025 out to .032 or so. Also the newer lot had some primers that had a rougher surface on the edge of the battery cup. The newer lot also gave me a lot of problems where the primers would bridge in my Apex loader primer tray. When bridged the primers would prevent a primer from dropping into the cogged wheel that rotates to feed the primer into the primer drop tube.

I Contacted Winchester and they asked me to send them around ten of the loaded shells using this new lot of primers. I did so and Winchester and I are following up on checking into this issue. Winchester has been quite good in the manner in which they are working with me on this issue. Because of hunting season and other issues I have been a little bit slow in replying to them however additional arrangements are currently being made to determine the cause and actions needed to resolve this problem.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
The remaining primers were, at their request and cost, sent back to Winchester. They were delivered to the shipper yesterday. Will let you know what happens next.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts