Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have loaded Hodgdon Clays powder for nearly 20 years. With things being what they are these days, what other powder has a similar stack height and performance of Clays in STS hulls, WAA12 wads or clones, and 1 1/8 ounce load? I will run out of Clays soon, and while I still have ample powder for my AAHS favorite recipe, I was hoping to keep my eye open for an alternative, and snag a few jugs should the opportunity arise. Naturally, I am hoping a few jugs of Clays will come my way before then, but change can be good sometimes. Bonus points if the powder is also good in Federal Paper hulls with CB3118AR wads too.

Reactions: acorange

· Premium Member
8,102 Posts
That is a tall order. 1 1/8 oz. Both Rem and AAHS. And a bulky, fast powder. The ones that come to mind are Red Dot, Clay Dot and Promo, maybe 700X, Am. Select and and IMR Red. Most of the other powders in that burn rate class are significantly denser: Titewad, Nitro 100, e3. The one I would look at first is Promo. Good luck with your quest. My advice would be to buy the first 8# keg of any of the foregoing you happen on to and worry about finagling the stack height later.

· Premium Member
BT99
260 Posts
E3 is my go to.
My WAA12 may be a CB clone

Date Gauge_12 Ga
Case Type Remington STS_
Wad__WAA12______
Shot Brand West Coast Magnum Wt. 1-1/8 oz SIZE:_7.5
Powder Type Alliant E3 Powder Wt. 16.0 gr
Primer ____ Winchester W209 – Lot# PCL-641___
Pressure/Velocity 10,170psi/1145fps__ Run#__

· Registered
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a tall order. 1 1/8 oz. Both Rem and AAHS. And a bulky, fast powder. The ones that come to mind are Red Dot, Clay Dot and Promo, maybe 700X, Am. Select and and IMR Red. Most of the other powders in that burn rate class are significantly denser: Titewad, Nitro 100, e3. The one I would look at first is Promo. Good luck with your quest. My advice would be to buy the first 8# keg of any of the foregoing you happen on to and worry about finagling the stack height later.
no need to work in the AAHS and STS with WAA12 wad. I have a favorite AAHS recipe and the powder to use it (tightwad). Sorry for the confusion, I was just pointing out that I can be picky, since I have lots of components for my AAHS recipe, so I don't need to compromise much. If I don't use my STS hulls for a while, so be it.

· Registered
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
E3 is my go to.

Date Gauge_12 Ga
Case Type Remington STS_
Wad__
WAA12______
Primer __ Winchester W209 – Lot# PCL-641_
Pressure/Velocity 10,170psi/1145fps Run#
edit: oops. that seems similar to clays, how is the stack height?

· Banned
1,793 Posts
"...what other powder has a similar stack height and performance of Clays in STS hulls, WAA12 wads or clones, and 1 1/8 ounce load? "

If you use MEC bushings, simply look at the bushing chart for the bushing you are using now, see what charges of various powders it drops, and check the loading data for recipes using those charges. If you use the same bushing/wad combo your stack height will not change.

For instance: say you're using a MEC #31 to drop a nominal 17.3 grains of Clays with a WWAA12 wad for a 9/8 load @ 1145 fps.

The chart suggests a #31 drops 18.3 grains of Red Dot. That's doable. Would have the identical stack height, but is a 1200fps load.

Chart shows a #31 dropping 19.0 grains of Green Dot (mine drops less). BINGO. With an STS and a WWAA12 that should be an 1145 fps load.

· Registered
3,049 Posts
Bushing charts are notoriously inaccurate. Often dropping less than noted.

I would take Nebs suggestion and get Red Dot, Promo and Clay Dot if you can,

In these times just get what ever shotgun powder you can and work from there.

Another option is get Rem TGT12 one oz wad to load 1 1/8 oz of shot with your Titewad powder.

Jason

· Registered
7,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hadn’t thought of bushing charts as a handy volume / stack height guide. It should work in theory, or at least get pretty close. I will compare the chart value for clays with others, not what bushing I use. That should compensate for the chart tendency to be a little low.

But thanks for all the advice. At least now I can widen my search and possibly get lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,213 Posts
What Billfish said.... WST is kind of expensive but it is somewhat obtainable now. 18.5 to 19 gr. is a great load in both the STS and AAHS hull. It has been pretty much my go-to handicap load
[when I am not loading Fed. papers with Green Dot] for years. My Mec 9000 is set up for this load only. Hard 7&1/2's at 1150 will break any target on the field and not kick you out from under your hat.
My 2 cents.....

· Registered
2,055 Posts
E3 is my go to.

Date Gauge_12 Ga
Case Type Remington STS_
Wad__
WAA12______
Primer __ Winchester W209 – Lot# PCL-641_
Pressure/Velocity 10,170psi/1145fps Run#
This is my 16yd load but I like 8 shot or 8 1/2 shot and my Wad is Blueduster, WAA12 clone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.