Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How may reloads can one expect from using a moderate load with STS Hulls? Probably will be using around 19 to 20 grains Green Dot, Winchester 209 primer and 1 1/8 oz of shot.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Mine get rather grungy after 5 or 6 reloads so I let them fly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
5 or 6 here, too, same load you mentioned. 32 bushing of Green Dot, WAA-12 wad, Win. 209, 1 1/8.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I am not trying to be a troll but I get 5 or 6 with 700x from the Green hulls. I end up pitching the Gold Nitros at 3 or 4. I know they are the exact same shell I think the gold just shows more damage.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I must be in the minority. Bought 1000 new Rem STS and then got 16 reloads using about 16 grains of Red Dot and 7/8 ounce of #8 shot. Disposed of them when they showed some splits in the crimp folds.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman

·
Registered
198 Posts
I bought a 9000 with bags of once reloaded STS 20 ga hulls. I have used the same 250 hulls for their 8th reload. Some look rough, but they load and shoot fine. I lose about 2 per 100 for splits after this many times through the machine. I hope to get 3 or 4 more reloads.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I load mine with 7/8oz with 17.1 of Clays powder, I really have no idea how long they might last, after 15 reloads I'm just sick of looking at them so I move on to a new batch.

·
Registered
830 Posts
They're just getting broken in at 5 or 6. They don't look as pretty as new shells, but STS, Nitro, or Gun Clubs all reload up in the teens.

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
Studies show performance does not decrease appreciably based on the number of times a hull has been reloaded. The hull is nothing more than a container for the other components. As long as the crimp will keep the components contained, the load is good to go.

·
Registered
21,476 Posts
Studies show performance does not decrease appreciably based on the number of times a hull has been reloaded. The hull is nothing more than a container for the other components. As long as the crimp will keep the components contained, the load is good to go.
And other studies show velocity losses as the hulls are reloaded more and more.

·
Premium Member
11,536 Posts
I've never really looked into it but, intuitively, it would seem that as the hull wears out, i.e., becomes easier to open, that the pressure would decrease. Whether or not that's so, or whether it would be a big enough drop to make a difference I don't know.

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
And other studies show velocity losses as the hulls are reloaded more and more.
This is true, but those same studies show the decrease is not appreciable. Right now, I can't remember the name of the guy who did the study, but it is available online and when I remember the name, I will post a link to it. I initially was surprised by his results but when I thought about it I realized I shouldn't have been because those results are consistent with the notion the hull is nothing more than a container, with a somewhat loose lid, for the components.

·
Registered
31,642 Posts
This is true, but those same studies show the decrease is not appreciable. Right now, I can't remember the name of the guy who did the study, but it is available online and when I remember the name, I will post a link to it. I initially was surprised by his results but when I thought about it I realized I shouldn't have been because those results are consistent with the notion the hull is nothing more than a container, with a somewhat loose lid, for the components.
Nebs, are you thinking of Tom Roster? He did a similar experiment with AA’s and published his results in American Shotgunner towards the late 70’s if I remember correctly. He got 12-15 reloads.

Reactions: 2llc

·
Registered
140 Posts
I get about 6 out of them before I start seeing pinholes, I let them fly from the autoloader at that point. The buzzards usually swoop in and take them when I do and I get my weekly lecture I should be getting 10 out of them. Granted you could and alot of people get 10 or over reloads out of them, I just get sick of sorting them and have so many Remington hulls laying around.I use the same load you are using (with Remington fig 8 wad).

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
Nebs, are you thinking of Tom Roster? He did a similar experiment with AA’s and published his results in American Shotgunner towards the late 70’s if I remember correctly. He got 12-15 reloads.
He was the guy I initially thought of but it was not him. Close though, Tom Armbrust. His study included both the AA and the Rem Premier along with Federal papers and Gold Medal plastic hulls:

Shotshell Case Life and its Effects on Ballistics (1998)

And, his study confirms what we already know about the Federal paper.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Very subjective...I have loaded STS green hulls and Nitro 27 gold hulls 10-15 times easily. And to those who argue you lose velocity past 5-6 loads? I was never shooter enough to notice the difference and I suspect they aren't either......

1 - 20 of 37 Posts