Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm loading STS hulls, with Win 209 primers, CB 1100-12 wads, 17 gr Clay Dot and 1 oz of #8.

These loads seem a little deep to me. These are STS that I've loaded 4 times. I am loading on a RCBS Grand. The Grand has 3 station crimp.....pre-crimp, crimp and then a taper crimp.

Is this just a function of a hull that is not new and a little stiff or maybe too deep of a pre-crimp? I only use for practice and leagues so will certainly shoot them.

Any thoughts or am I being too anal on these loads?
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Blue Light

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sides of the crimp are about .050 much like factory, but the center is deeper than I think it should be. On some loads, I can see one shot - it doesn't fall out.

·
What squad am I on?
GU 725 Adj Combo
8,328 Posts
Have you tried letting the final crimp set wad pressure? My pressure indicator barely moves on my MEC.
18g American Select
CB1100
Perfect crimps in gun club, STS/nitro, clay and field.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bill1064 I am reloading the STS hulls with the same recipe as you. My loads look the same. When I load the same recipe with Gun Clubs the crimp is perfect. I think the stiffer hull of the STS is the difference. I shoot the same with either hull. Shoot them all and have fun!!

·
Registered
11,779 Posts
The depth should be about the thickness of the dime.
That is how I load-em too. I want a dime thickness or a tad lighter.

Try to lighten up on the wad pressure, and if your still getting deep crimps? Lighten up on the final crimp as well. break em all jeff

·
Registered
356 Posts
I use the same load but 17.8 grain of Clay dot. Comes out fine. Move up a bushing see if that works.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
I had the same issue. I went to a TGT12 wad and it gave me the correct stack height. If you don't have access to any, you can PM me your address and I'll send you some to try.
This is the correct answer. The figure 8-style wads have a bit taller crush section than the aa-style wads, giving you a bit taller stack height. But, I also agree with the others that the crimp dishing is minor and not anything to worry about.

·
Registered
175 Posts
CB8100 for 1 oz or CB8118 for 1 1/8. These crimp nicely for me with either a #29 bushing (19gr of WST) or even a #23 bushing (21gr of WSH). They are just taller.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone. Will order some tgt12 1 0z wads and see the difference. Noted they are a tad bit taller which should help the slight concave effect in my picture.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm loading STS hulls, with Win 209 primers, CB 1100-12 wads, 17 gr Clay Dot and 1 oz of #8.

These loads seem a little deep to me. These are STS that I've loaded 4 times. I am loading on a RCBS Grand. The Grand has 3 station crimp.....pre-crimp, crimp and then a taper crimp.

Is this just a function of a hull that is not new and a little stiff or maybe too deep of a pre-crimp? I only use for practice and leagues so will certainly shoot them.

Any thoughts or am I being too anal on these loads? View attachment 1769412
I had he same issue and some others, the RCBS Grand is touchy. Back off the crimp a quarter turn at a time and see if it helps. The grand is sensitive to shell length on the crimp. Changing hull types may require readjustment..
Yours look real good, just a little to deep.

·
Registered
11,779 Posts
Thanks everyone. Will order some tgt12 1 0z wads and see the difference.
I guess you don't want to adjust your machine? I have been loading your exact same load with 17 gr's. of Clay's powder, and Claybuster AA 1100 wads for 15 years in STS hulls. Since Clay-dot powder, and Clays powder drop exactly the same. You should not be having a problem!!! I have perfect crimps in my loads. I advised you to take off wad pressure!!! If your still having a problem? then lighten up your final crimp some as well. Your shells edge crimp should be the thickness of a dime. Your pictures show almost twice this thickness along the entire sides of the crimp. Though its hard to judge without a dime in the picture to know for sure. Contact Mec service center and they will walk you through the adjustments if you don't want to follow my advice. So in closing its not your stack height. Its your adjustments. You may also want to note: The deeper your crimps are, the shorter your hull life will be. Most loaders what to maximize hull life. Good Luck to you. break em all jeff

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess you don't want to adjust your machine? I have been loading your exact same load with 17 gr's. of Clay's powder, and Claybuster AA 1100 wads for 15 years in STS hulls. Since Clay-dot powder, and Clays powder drop exactly the same. You should not be having a problem!!! I have perfect crimps in my loads. I advised you to take off wad pressure!!! If your still having a problem? then lighten up your final crimp some as well. Your shells edge crimp should be the thickness of a dime. Your pictures show almost twice this thickness along the entire sides of the crimp. Though its hard to judge without a dime in the picture to know for sure. Contact Mec service center and they will walk you through the adjustments if you don't want to follow my advice. So in closing its not your stack height. Its your adjustments. You may also want to note: The deeper your crimps are, the shorter your hull life will be. Most loaders what to maximize hull life. Good Luck to you. break em all jeff

1 - 20 of 36 Posts