Trapshooters Forum banner

Struggling switching to holding on the house

3100 Views 21 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Big Az Al
So I typically hold quite high around 3' above the house and need to switch to holding on the house now that I am taping my left eye. The issue is this, I am going through the targets and missing them over the top. What do you do, are you slowing the vertical move down as you reach the bird, are you pulling the trigger under the bird, are you making a slow move to the target? Before it was so simple, slide it over with almost no vertical move and smoke it... My gun shoots 60/40 on paper.

P.S. I have already resigned myself to the fate of a one-eyed shooter so please don't try to talk me out of it with eye exercises, bead blockers, EasyHit sights, etc. My off eye grabs the target probably 1 in 10 shots causing visual confusion which can result in a miss or even a half flinch. I made the switch around 5 months ago in sporting and skeet and have been extremely successful.
Reactions: JACK and BadaBing11
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
5,694 Posts
I shoot a gun held parallel with my left eye taped. I don't see the hard right from 3 until it comes up outside and above my gun but there is plenty of time to slide over and get it. Hold outside the front corners on 1 & 3 to keep the hard angles above the gun. Gun set at 100% high.. Less gun movement than chasing up from a top of house hold. ATA AA in singles.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
Be patient, remember it takes time. When I switched from 1 eye to 2 it took 4 months of continual practice to get back to the scores I previously had. I am a believer in a quick move to the target. I feel slowing down as you get there or being slow and deliberate to start causes you to try and aim rather than point. Get on post 3 lock down the trap on straight away and experiment with different hold points until you find what works.

· Registered
3,088 Posts
Are you sure you are missing over them? Often times it'll feel like you are missing above...but you are actually low.
Following Phil Kiner advice. Stand on post 3 (with your full choke) and shoot 8-10 targets, then put a 1/32nd washer under the comb...and repeat. When you start to move away from smoke balls go back a washer and you are at your setup.

· Registered
292 Posts
Just started shooting with the magic dot on left lense I’ve been shooting for many years with both eyes open but recently I completely lost consistency would go like 24 then a 20 always knew I was having problems from station 2 & 3 with those quartering left targets seems the left eye will take over and I’d shoot behind the target. I’m now holding a low gun and at the edge of the house from 1 & 5. I did Shoot in front of a couple targets from station 1 figure it’ll just take some time to adapt to one eye shooting but I did shoot pretty good from the 23 was seeing the target much better.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I shoot a gun held parallel with my left eye taped. I don't see the hard right from 3 until it comes up outside and above my gun but there is plenty of time to slide over and get it. Hold outside the front corners on 1 & 3 to keep the hard angles above the gun. Gun set at 100% high.. Less gun movement than chasing up from a top of house hold. ATA AA in singles.
Are you saying you shoot a high gun with one eye?

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you sure you are missing over them? Often times it'll feel like you are missing above...but you are actually low.
Following Phil Kiner advice. Stand on post 3 (with your full choke) and shoot 8-10 targets, then put a 1/32nd washer under the comb...and repeat. When you start to move away from smoke balls go back a washer and you are at your setup.
Yes, confirmed it with the ShotKam that I’m over the misses. I can tell that I’m going right through as well. I probably just need to practice my timing and focus on making a smooth move. Crossers are easier to keep the barrel under the bird.

· Registered
3,088 Posts
Yes, confirmed it with the ShotKam that I’m over the misses. I can tell that I’m going right through as well. I probably just need to practice my timing and focus on making a smooth move. Crossers are easier to keep the barrel under the bird.
Good to know.

Phils method is still going to be your best bet though.

I was using his method over the garmin and it was interesting to watch that when I had a lower POI I was getting above birds and when I raised the POI I came back into the birds. I assume its because with a lower POI your brain knows you have to move the gun quicker and that means you occasionally drive past the bird. But with a higher POI your brain knows that its doesn't have to be in a rush and you are less likely to over drive.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to know.

Phils method is still going to be your best bet though.

I was using his method over the garmin and it was interesting to watch that when I had a lower POI I was getting above birds and when I raised the POI I came back into the birds. I assume its because with a lower POI your brain knows you have to move the gun quicker and that means you occasionally drive past the bird. But with a higher POI your brain knows that its doesn't have to be in a rush and you are less likely to over drive.
Thanks! I will give this a shot.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
So I typically hold quite high around 3' above the house and need to switch to holding on the house now that I am taping my left eye. The issue is this, I am going through the targets and missing them over the top. What do you do, are you slowing the vertical move down as you reach the bird, are you pulling the trigger under the bird, are you making a slow move to the target? Before it was so simple, slide it over with almost no vertical move and smoke it... My gun shoots 60/40 on paper.

P.S. I have already resigned myself to the fate of a one-eyed shooter so please don't try to talk me out of it with eye exercises, bead blockers, EasyHit sights, etc. My off eye grabs the target probably 1 in 10 shots causing visual confusion which can result in a miss or even a half flinch. I made the switch around 5 months ago in sporting and skeet and have been extremely successful.
I am doing the exact same thing. I pull up through the bird too fast and shoot over. When I try to slow down, I wait too long and the bird is way out there. I'm considering trying parallel gun or just a higher hold even though I tape the left eye. I tried it successfully from sta 1,2,3 last week and it worked well. It seemed to slow down the bird in my vision and I didn't feel the need to hurry up get to the bird. Stations 4,5, it didn't work so well. But one round isn't enough to tell.

I've been holdng on the front of the house for three years and still don't feel like I see the bird well. I don't know why, but so far, the higher hold makes me feel like I see the bird faster and longer. It doesn't make sense since my soft focus is in the same spot as when I hold on the front edge of the trap house.

I plan on getting to the higher hold after I get through a couple other changes I want to try. I found out the hard way to only try change thing at a time, unless I'm getting professional coaching.

· Registered
3,969 Posts
The first 60 years of my shooting life I had both eyes open. I now have to use the tape patch on my left lens to prevent cross firing. At first I held low on the roof and struggled with that method. After a couple of PMs from JBrooks I decided to hold about a foot and a half over the house on Posts 2,3, and 4 and just over the left corner on Post 1 and level with the roof on Post 5 but about 2 feet wide of the right corner. I try to keep my right eye in control on each Post with these gun holds.

· Vendor
1,756 Posts
I have changed my theory on hold points for 1-eyed shooters - I discovered that many of these shooters can not handle holding on the house!!!! So if you cannot get it to sync on house don't keep trying and try the following process.

So to start try holding about half as high as before but not clear down to the roof. Then experiment with both up and down (about a bead width each move) until you find the hold height that works FOR YOU. If it works it is not wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have changed my theory on hold points for 1-eyed shooters - I discovered that many of these shooters can not handle holding on the house!!!! So if you cannot get it to sync on house don't keep trying and try the following process.

So to start try holding about half as high as before but not clear down to the roof. Then experiment with both up and down (about a bead width each move) until you find the hold height that works FOR YOU. If it works it is not wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I finally had the chance to shoot three rounds yesterday with high hold points with my left eye taped and it worked out great. I held about 1.5 feet high, about half the height I usually do and it went very well. I had to adjust a bit on where I held on the house horizontally but I think I have some good marks. 1 and 5, I am holding around a foot outside of the corners and looking towards the center for the bird. 2 and 4, I am holding on the corners and looking towards the center for the bird. Station 3, I tried a few different ones but I had success with a foot inside the left corner of the house looking to the left of the gun and down for the bird. I did lose sight of the bird a few times on hard right angles (the wind was blowing hard in that direction), but there was no visual panic or flinch.

I appreciate all the advice from everyone, I otherwise would have most likely continued to struggle holding on the house.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.