Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really strong prescription for my glasses. One eye is -7, and other is -6.5, so its pretty bad. I'm looking at replacing my current shooting glasses. Given my strong Rx, would I be better off getting some contacts specifically for shooting, and buying Plano lenses, or getting the Rx lenses.

My reasoning...no matter how good the lenses, there is still some distortion as you move away from the center of the lens (I believe). I've tried contacts before for day to day, and I tolerate them very well, but I don't like the screwing around putting them in and out...and I don't like having readers scattered all over the house. But maybe contacts just for shooting?

If you're knowledgable about eyes, I'd appreciate an opinion. Thanks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Contacts since age 15 (now 66). Got them initially because my glasses were too heavy on a broken nose, even after healing. I got plastic lenses but during that time they easily scratched and Dad got fed up with replacing them. I have always worn hard lenses, first were the plastic ones, then later gas permeables (I actually participated in the trials for Boston Lens in 1980). I can see with better definition, clarity and less distortion with hard lens than with any glasses. Very little prescription change in 50 years I believe because the lens hold the shape of the eyeball fairly consistently. I briefly tried soft lenses when they were introduced but didn’t see as well and thought the care/replacement was a pain. I get yearly exams and the doctor says my lenses are fitted very well and my eyes are healthy. I never thought I would be able to wear contacts into my 60’s but now I have no intention of stopping.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I had bad vision also. 5.75 in one eye, 5.50 in the other. I wore contacts for about 25 years with no problems. Had lasik done about 2008 and loved it. I wore the type of contacts you could wear for a week and pitch.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ok I am not attempting to get in a competition as I would be considered legally blind without correction. Glasses make things too small so its contacts all the way. I have astigmatism and my left eye is -14.25 an my right is -13.5 , With contacts I can see the birds fairly well, with glasses the targets get so small an I can't keep them in the center to see them? I would get lasik but corneas are too thin. Appreciate what eye sight you have an break em all it could be worse.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Think seriously about gas permeable hard contact lenses. I had cataract removal on both eyes about 40 years ago and was too young to get the regular lens implants (I'll be 74 in October). That means I have no lenses in my eye. I tried soft lenses after surgery but they always seemed to be blurry. With powers in the 14 range, the lenses were very thick and gooey. They also seemed to absorb fumes in the air (diesel exhaust was a particular problem). An optometrist suggested the gas permeable lenses and the world snapped into clear focus. Yes, they require more maintenance and they are fairly easy to dislodge, but having exceptionally good and sharp vision has kept me in life - and in the clay target games.

The hard lenses are more costly and they are sometimes uncomfortable. They are durable. The set I use today is over 5 years old and they're still crystal clear. I have three other lenses in a jar of distilled water (leftover from past prescrip[tions). They work fine and they're always there in case I lose one of the daily ones.

I only wear them 16 hours per day. I also have a "coke-bottle-bottom" pair of glasses at the ready when the lenses are out. I also need reading glasses.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I recently had cataract surgery and no longer need glasses to shoot. Arm’s length or less I need a 1.75 power reader due to astigmatism in my left eye (now 20/30), but per my doctor this too can be corrected and will be this winter. My right eye is a perfect 20/20 bordering on 20/15. Ten minutes per eye, one week apart, and zero discomfort.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
I have a really strong prescription for my glasses. One eye is -7, and other is -6.5, so its pretty bad.
Have you considered Lasik surgery? Seems like a good time to ask before you go out and buy new shooting glasses. break em all jeff

·
Banned
16,308 Posts
Trail,

I had heard many good things about Dale Fluegge for years. Just recently purchased my first pair of lenses from him. Should have seen him years ago as they specialize in shooting glasses. Knows what shooters require. He went above and beyond for me.
He may be able to assist you.
Located near Waterford WI.

Eyewear Store | Waterford WI | Fluegge Optical

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Trail,

I have a fairly strong prescription and stigmatism. I don't wear contacts due to the amount of dust I am around at times, plus I hate putting a lenses on my eyes. I went with the Randolph Engineering Sporter for its heavy frame and non-curved lens for a heavier prescription.

Two cons: they are a little heavy, and don't look very cool.

Major pro: I can see targets clearly.

I got mine through Jeff at Morgan Optical. I went with a pale yellow lens for low light, and bought a polarized copper (fishing) and CMT (bright days) clip on shades. I am well satisfied with the Ranger Sporters and Morgan Optical.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts