Trapshooters Forum banner

Straight pull rifles

1380 Views 19 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  pettifogger1
Do any of you own or have experience with a straight pull rifle. Savage is coming out with one and I’m interested in maybe getting one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
239 Posts
Probably not what you are looking for, but I own a number of old Swiss straight pull rifles: 2 K31s, a K11, a 96/11, and a 31/43 sniper. All super reliable. The Swiss perfected the straight pull in 1931 with the K31, which has a very smooth action and is super accurate. They have been around well over 100 years.

· Registered
718 Posts
I have shot a couple of modern straight pull rifles. They are nice but take some getting used to after working American bolt action guns for so long. For what it’s worth, the straight pulls I have fired are not true straight pull, but more of a rotational pull. Rather than lifting a horizontal bolt in the traditional sense, you have to pivot the bolt on its lateral axis.

· Registered
6,262 Posts
Several. Swiss Schmidt Rubin K-31, Ross, Browning T-Bolt, Steyr M95 carbine. (that last one is a brute to shoot in either caliber!) The K-31 is the Rolls-Royce of non-semi auto military rifles. The Ross was a once in a lifetime opportunity to fire. Also very smooth, but I see why it was not a good combat rifle.

· Premium Member
15,944 Posts
As Ernest T mentions, the Swiss rifles (Schmidt-Rubin) are straight pull. I have had one for years - and I've never shot it...

Here is the concept explained, for Blasers -

Early Blasers had some issues with the bolt assembly - it has an expanding tip (as the bolt is closed fingers are pushed outwards in a radial pattern to lock into the action) that was held in place with an O-ring and it could be problematic (I will call a buddy who worked on them to find what the real issue was) - Not sure how Savage has addressed this...

Here is a photo of the earlier LRS-2 version's bolt. You can see the radial pattern of 'fingers' that expanded being held by an O-ring.

Musical instrument accessory Gun accessory Air gun Steel Gun barrel

· Registered
394 Posts
I have seen the adds for the Savage straight pull rifle. I like the concept and will be on the look out for one as well. I like my browning's 30 degree pull, and hate the Remington pull where I almost hit my knuckles on the scope. Having the straight pull, would be nice for that reason. The videos that I have seen look very positive.

Murph, if you find one and purchase, I would like to hear some feedback.

· Registered
614 Posts
Isn't the Ross the rifle that can give you bolt face if reassemble incorrectly? I've heard they were really accurate. I've only seen pictures. Wish I could look at one for real.
I have taken a Ross rifle bolt apart a couple of times and the bolt in my opinion cannot be put into battery incorrectly. These rifles were built with the close tolerances of a sporting rifle as opposed to a military rifle which did not serve the Ross rifle well in Flanders mud. The bolt in a clean gun locks up completely. a dirty rifle bolt can rearrange your face.

· Registered
299 Posts
I own a bunch of the Swiss rifles and when I used to shoot right handed I used my K31 in high power rifle competition. It was a joy to shoot even in the rapid fire segments. I had to switch to left hand due to an eye issue. The savage is also interesting to me because I can move the bolt knob to the left side and that it takes magazines. I hope they come out with one in 223 with a 1-7” twist barrel.

· Registered
2,109 Posts
Many Ross rifles, that could reassembled wrongly, were ultimately pinned to prevent full disassembly.
The primary cause of 1910 Ross rifles difficult operation in the trenches was small bearing surface of the bolt stop, which battered and deformed the locking lug threads.

· Registered
6,615 Posts
Do any of you own or have experience with a straight pull rifle. Savage is coming out with one and I’m interested in maybe getting one.

The biggest issue with straight pull actions are tight cartridges. With the bolt action the bolt handle gives you leverage while the bolt rides a cam to beging extraction, so while you are raising the bolt handle you are starting extraction. With a straight pull the twisting action is to unlock the bolt and there is no cam to help pull the cartridge backwards, so you have supply the force to extract a tight or stuck case or cartridge. The straight pull should be a fast fun action but a slight ammo problem turns fun into disappointment.

Al

· Registered
447 Posts
The only straight pull I've ever shot was an Anschutz 1827 (I think that's the model #) biathlon rifle with the Fortner straight pull action. You want to talk about slick. I haven't seen very many people using straight pulls and I don't think they have really caught on here outside of biathlon competitors.

Derek

· Registered
306 Posts
Anschutz 1827 is awesome. .22lr only.

I have a PFS (I think) that is like a 10-22 with a straight pull. uses All 10-22 parts and accessories. With a suppressor it is dead nuts quiet where the 10-22 you could hear the bolt cycle.

only center fire I have held is the blaster. Nice but really more that i want to spend on a hunting gun.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have seen the adds for the Savage straight pull rifle. I like the concept and will be on the look out for one as well. I like my browning's 30 degree pull, and hate the Remington pull where I almost hit my knuckles on the scope. Having the straight pull, would be nice for that reason. The videos that I have seen look very positive.

Murph, if you find one and purchase, I would like to hear some feedback.
Will do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.