Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and we had a difference of option. He always collects this straight patches. My thought is that if I have shot it in past I don't collect the patch. So say one shoot I shoot 75 straight and I have already done that I wouldn't collect the patch. So the only patches I would ever have are 25,50,75,100, and 200 straight. Different patches for 16 y, handicap, and doubles. All I need is a shoe box full of 25 straight patches. Now I do believe that if you are 18 and younger you should collect a patch. The kids really like getting there patches. What are your guys thought on this.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
I have one of each for my first 25, 50, and 75. I don't want any more than the first ones of those. I'll keep the 100 straights though. I don't think I'll ever get too many of those.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I agree and only keep the first one of each. I saw a guy at the Grand a couple of years ago that had multiple 25 straight patches on his vest. It appeared too much like overkill to me, but to each his own.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't even put them on my vest. I have always thought it would be better not to publish how good or bad of a shooter you are. I would like to hear he ran 100 straight who is that guy.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
I have some. Somewhere.

Seems like sometimes it is more important to the person giving you the patch that "they gave you one for your achievement," than it is for you. Or at least, that has been my experience.

Reactions: Gussers

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
I like to collect them if they are a club patch, meaning that the name of the club is on it.

It's kind of like collecting bumper stickers from the places I've traveled to.

If it's a generic Winchester or Remington or such patch I don't take it.

I never sew them on my vest. I'm very superstitious and believe displaying them will bring bad luck!

·
Registered
705 Posts
As an adult I've never collected any patches, as I would not display them on my vest anyhow. When I was young... different story! :) At the time, many of the younger shooters had a vest full of patches. We wore them like a badge of honor.

Still get a smile on my face when I see a young shooter with a bunch of patches on their vest. Good for them! Wear them proudly. I agree with 1100 Remington Man in the post above. Give away the patches to our youth. Good shooting to you, Jeff

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I usually have a 25 patch in my console and when I am shooting somewhere that doesn't have any and a kid gets their first 25 I give them one and enjoy their big smile. I have done up to 75 a few times but not interested in anything below 100!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I agree I have both 25 and 50 straight patches sewn on my shell bag. I did get one for a 25 straight that I shot with a Beretta A400 field gun an wrote the date and club name on it. But I don’t collect a patch for every 25 straight I shoot. For those that do good for them. Nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
For a person breaking their first 25,50,75,100 receiving a patch is a tremendous achievement and definitely worthy of recognition. If you try to collect a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc one then you're just being greedy. In fact, how would you feel if a club is all out of 25 straight patches to give some kid on their first straight because you felt the need to collect 9 of them?

The only exception is when you break your first 100 or 200 at a particular club that gives out patches/pins for that achievement. Then feel free to get your *1* straight pin at each club.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Shot first 25 & 50 straight at an ATA shoot and actually won the class (to my pleasant surprise), and was never awarded any patches. Not that concerned about it I honestly thought those were more for the youth shooters.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
When I was a kid, I collected all the patches I earned, and sewed them to my vest. I had lots of 25 patches, a couple 50's, one 75 and one 100. Sold the vest, with all the patches on it (Should have kept one of each) many years ago. I did earn a 25 this year, my club only gives out one per level. I'm OK with that, and I'm not sewing them on this time.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,273 Posts
Running a club I am not going to give you a patch for each 25 straight. Or any other achievement unless it is the first time you achieve it. I will take your word if you say it's your first time.

Reactions: little bud

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I've never received a patch but have picked up a few 100 straight pins from clubs I also received a 200 straight pin from PITA at our Grand Pacific and a 200 straight pin at our WA. State PITA State Shoot.

PD

1 - 20 of 31 Posts