Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used this as a lube on their break open guns, rails on pump guns or any pivot points such as on your reloaders?? don't know if anyone carries this product any more, but I remember it being thick and very slippery. Maybe there's a product out there much like this? thanks, dennis

P.S. was a long winter and now with this virus lockdown !!

·
Registered
497 Posts
An old timer friend of mine would mix STP and hydraulic oil 50/50 and used it on his perazzi guns never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
I have used STP for years. In winter I may cut it a little with ATF or Mobile 1 oil --- but in summer I may use it straight or cut just a little with oil.
I have used about every lube you can shake a stick at on my break open gun - from Red grease, wheel bearing grease, chainsaw bar oil, to Super Lube to STOS etc. etc. I generally always end up back with my STP mix.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have used STS for years. In winter I may cut it a little with ATF or Mobile 1 oil --- but in summer I may use it straight or cut just a little with oil.
I have used about every lube you can shake a stick at on my break open gun - from Red grease, wheel bearing grease, chainsaw bar oil, to Super Lube to STOS etc. etc. I generally always end up back with my STP mix.
Andy Granatelli would be proud...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MXMGAnyYoog&ved=2ahUKEwjPh9iKpuvoAhUaGDQIHS9RAwwQwqsBMAF6BAgJEAc&usg=AOvVaw0HdzLSee4jbg4N8KF0-Zl2

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
You ever take an old engine apart that has run STP, especially a diesel, you will not be a happy camper. Your wife will hate you more if try to put your work clothes in her washing machine. I wouldn't use it on my break open guns if you paid me! You can't get that sticky crap off anything without large amounts of Brake Cleaner.

·
Sky Buster
4,127 Posts
You ever take an old engine apart that has run STP, especially a diesel, you will not be a happy camper. Your wife will hate you more if try to put your work clothes in her washing machine. I wouldn't use it on my break open guns if you paid me! You can't get that sticky crap off anything without large amounts of Brake Cleaner.
A lot of competitive pistol shooters use Mobil 1 on their auto pistols.

·
Banned
142 Posts
I really don't see the point in using it. It's sticky, it stinks, and hard to clean up.

As long as Brian Enos sells Slide Glide, or you can buy Red n' Tacky grease, or any gun company grease, I'd stay with those. you can clean and reapply easily.

I think STP and similar products can help keep old worn out engines running a while longer. I had an old seldom used farm truck that needed a rebuild , and a Farmall cub with a main knocking. Lucas and STP would quiet them down and keep them running.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have a truck I bough new 25 years ago. I have put a bottle of STP in it with every oil change. At 150k it needed a head gasket. When we pulled it down, it still had the cross hatch marks from where the block was bored. The valve cover was clean. The valve train was spotless. The truck now had 225k miles and uses little if any oil between changes. STP might not have helped it, but it didnt hurt it.

Now, back on topic.....I wouldn't use STP on my shotgun. It's a sticky mess and is hard to clean off.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Stp is not a lubricant

Correct - STP is a heavy dose of viscosity index improvers (long chain polymers, plastic) in a simple base oil.
The MSDS for STP says it's mostly mineral oil and petroleum distillates (lots of latitude there) and from 1 to 4.9% calcium long-chain alkylphenate sulphide, commonly referred to as “phenates”. They belong to the class of lubricating oil additives known as detergents --- yadda yadda.... Probably the biggest use I am familiar with for STP is that engine builders often use it to rub on the crank and cam when assembling an engine ----- gives that initial slickness when the engine is first fired and the oil pump is getting up to pressure.
When I hung around drag racers - never saw one use it in their engine …..

·
Registered
31,768 Posts
Correct - STP is a heavy dose of viscosity index improvers (long chain polymers, plastic) in a simple base oil. The MSDS for STP says it's mostly mineral oil and petroleum distillates (lots of latitude there) and from 1 to 4.9% calcium long-chain alkylphenate sulphide, commonly referred to as “phenates”. They belong to the class of lubricating oil additives known as detergents --- yadda yadda.... Probably the biggest use I am familiar with for STP is that engine builders often use it to rub on the crank and cam when assembling an engine ----- gives that initial slickness when the engine is first fired and the oil pump is getting up to pressure.
When I hung around drag racers - never saw one use it in their engine …..

You talk funny.

Reactions: sdive2

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Have used STP for decades.. think about 10s of millions spent toward research related to vehicle lubrication.

vs a couple of thousand R&D that is in some of these gun lubricants

1 - 20 of 29 Posts