Trapshooters Forum banner

Storing flats of shotshells

1974 Views 19 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Mallard Cutter
Probably a dumb question, but I wonder if there’s any limit to how high shotshells in flats can be stored. Will the weight from, say, a stack of 10 flats cause any undue issues with the ones at the bottom (crimps opening, deformation, etc). I’ve had decent luck acquiring shells during the shortage, but am refraining from using my “good” shells (AA, STS), and they sit at the bottom of the stack. I’d hate to finally decide to shoot them up only to find they aren’t usable anymore. I know the factory stacks them fairly high on pallets, just not sure HOW high. Like I said, probably a stupid question, but my OCD needs to know. Thanks for any input on this folks!😊
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,299 Posts
Just make sure that you do not put the bottom row directly on cement as they will draw moisture ( ask me how I know ) anyway now I always throw down some plywood and set the boxes on it, have had some now for a couple years and they are just like the day I put them there.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just make sure that you do not put the bottom row directly on cement as they will draw moisture ( ask me how I know ) anyway now I always throw down some plywood and set the boxes on it, have had some now for a couple years and they are just like the day I put them there.
I have the flats stored indoors, climate controlled inside a coat closet. The bottom flats are directly on ceramic tile flooring. I live in a very dry climate, also, if that helps. I pulled them all out to rearrange a few weeks ago, and the AA’s on the bottom still looked ok on visual inspection. They’ve been on the bottom for about 2 years now.

· Registered
715 Posts
I have about 65 flats of 20 gauge that I left at my SIL's due to me not wanting me to move them. Those are on an oak pallet. I gave him a shotgun and told him to shoot all he wants and give to any family members he sees fit to. Here, I try and keep them in some cabinets that I built but really load what I need and only try and keep 4-5 flats ahead depending on gauge. As others have noted, just don't store them directly on the concrete. Use some 1X4' spaced fairly close together for something to put them on.

Good luck and all the best.

· Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What a nice problem to have..
I have learned from the last 2 times there were ammo shortages. I began to stock up as soon as Covid was reported in China. The writing was on the wall. Then with the “election”, I knew it would continue for quite awhile. I have not paid any inflated prices for any ammo during this shortage. The club I shoot at has been good about keeping shells on hand for use at the range, so I’ve been able to keep what I’ve acquired. I have lucked out a few times at Walmart also, but if I had to rely on them for shells, I’d have had to quit shooting long ago during this shortage.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I have them indoors on the first floor. I live in the desert southwest so moisture generally is non existent lol.
Right. This photo is proof that moisture is nonexistent in the desert southwest.

Phoenix:

• Haha
Reactions: Daddybro

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Lmao! Yeah the monsoon has FINALLY hit southern Nevada this year, too. Lord knows we need it!
One thing about the desert climate though, automobiles don’t rust away to nothing. UV eats the paint and any rubber/plastic parts but the interior of the trunk is pristine. Get a Sedan Deville and store your ammo in the trunk close up on the east side of your house.

HeH.

• Haha
Reactions: Daddybro

· Registered
57 Posts
Probably a dumb question, but I wonder if there’s any limit to how high shotshells in flats can be stored. Will the weight from, say, a stack of 10 flats cause any undue issues with the ones at the bottom (crimps opening, deformation, etc). I’ve had decent luck acquiring shells during the shortage, but am refraining from using my “good” shells (AA, STS), and they sit at the bottom of the stack. I’d hate to finally decide to shoot them up only to find they aren’t usable anymore. I know the factory stacks them fairly high on pallets, just not sure HOW high. Like I said, probably a stupid question, but my OCD needs to know. Thanks for any input on this folks!😊

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.