Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does storing new shotgun shells in a garage where the temperture ranges from 40 to 85 effect their performance?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I doubt seriously that you will ever be able to tell any diff in performance when you keep shells in that temp range. excessive heat or extreme cold might possibly have some effect but new shells should not show anything. some primers used in reloads with certain powder configurations have been known to have problems with extreme cold, but have never heard of new shells having such problems

Bob

·
Registered
708 Posts
still shooting a few AA's from the 70's and some RXP's, that were stored in a barn since they were bought, and no electricity in it, so you can imagine the temp. variance there. No problem.......shot a couple of boxes of bob whites over thanksgiving, stored in same place and no problems there either, and they are a paper shell.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have heard that before .410 But have never experienced that. We hunt when it damn cold and the shells basically stay in the truck all year and have never had a problem. my fingers get cold though

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Shot410ga.: No you won't, that's old hat. Super cold weather has the affect of shooting with about 1/2 grain less powder just as very hot weather has the opposite affect.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
I doubt the warehouses, delivery trucks or suppliers storage areas are heated. I've had shells in the garage over the winter (-15 below) and still work fine for winter derbys and shoots the next year.

·
Registered
463 Posts
What about humidity and it's effect on performance? I live near the coast, lots of rain and fog. I keep my reloads up high and dry, but no dehumidifier in use or heat. It gets down to about 40 degrees in winter. Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had some reloads with WW473AA and some with Red Dot stored in unheated garage for 19 years when our local trap range closed and I didn't shoot trap and all fired right, had to scrape some corrosion from the brass with fingernail on most of them. Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.