Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for an inexpensive 20 gauge and was wondering if the FTS is a good choice. Will have limited use. Any opinions appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Occasional sporting clays. Maybe four times a year. I like to change up to a 20 now and then. 90%of the time I would use my 12g Crossover Target...

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Looking for an inexpensive 20 gauge and was wondering if the FTS is a good choice. Will have limited use. Any opinions appreciated. Thank you
Although I do have a Stoeger over under and it has served me well, I think there are much better choices out there.

It has the worst trigger in the world. About like a Daisy Red Rider.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
A friend of mine sold me one a couple of years ago really cheap. I soon sold it really cheap. Lousy trigger is right. If you were using it for bird hunting and putting twenty rounds a year through it. OK. Shooting clay pigeon sports in any amount. Not so much. The same friend used one for a trap league of 25 targets a week for a couple of years with no problems. Never got very good with it.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
When I decided to dabble in 16 gauge, I picked up a used Condor 16 gauge. Fixed chokes IC/Mod, non selective trigger, always shoots IC first. I have run a couple thousand rounds through it at 5 Stand, and it has always gone bang, and shoots where it is pointed. Crude gun, but dependable for me so far. I knew what I was buying, and have been satisfied with my $300 investment. Main reason that I bought it, was so that I didn't have to chase hulls.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
My dad purchased a Condor O/U for use in trap against my suggesting he not do it. He wanted an O/U as he thought trap should be shot with one. He's on a fixed income so $ was an issue. I picked up a Limbsaver pad and installed it for him. He was getting beet up with it as it really didn't fit him properly. After he shot the gun I use (Beretta A400 xcel) he changed his tune about gas autos. He saved up and purchased a Beretta A300 Outlander which he now uses.

Now with that said, I think the Condors are OK for a cheap O/U. You get what you pay for. I've shot many of them. They break open hard. You have to remember to turn the safety off after every load (safety automatically is engaged when you close the gun), the triggers suck. But if you except these facts...

If you really only want to play with on occasion it should work ok but you may not enjoy shooting it as much as you think. I'd suggest shooting one before the purchase if at all possible. I'd also suggest seeing if you could pick up a better 20 gauge used if possible which would be more enjoyable to shoot. Check you club bulletin board or ask around to see if anyone has a 20 they might be ready to sell.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I picked up an almost-new Condor youth 20 ga a month ago. 22" barrels, and short LOP. Fun gun for the occasional skeet round for young kids when you use light loads. Not a bad gun for $250. Made in Brazil, not Turkey.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
10 years ago I would have said crap.

They must have made improvements as they are becoming more visable on the courses and on duck boats.

A friend has one of the auto loaders and it is decent. Still has poor triggers but is a workable gun.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
You have to remember to turn the safety off after every load (safety automatically is engaged when you close the gun)
I can tell you how to fix the automatic safety. It's actually pretty easy.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
10 years ago I would have said crap.

They must have made improvements as they are becoming more visable on the courses and on duck boats.

A friend has one of the auto loaders and it is decent. Still has poor triggers but is a workable gun.
Apples and oranges. The Stoeger auto-loaders are made in Turkey. The over unders are made in Brazil.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Here's a pretty fair review of the Stoeger. It discusses the pros and cons pretty well. Agrees with some of what's been said here....very functional for light target use and hunting. Not up to heavy use....although they didn't really have any problems. I've not seen this site before and might have to check it out some more.

Review: Stoeger Condor Over and Under Shotgun

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Not trying to rain on your parade here but, let me try and put into focus what people may be trying to say here. First while you may be a very occasional shooter, you may find yourself getting into the sport more. IF you do that, a cheap low end O/U will probably NOT hold up to the heavy shooting that it entails. My advice (for what it's worth) would be to either purchase a more reliable name brand used O/U or go with a well known semi auto . Both can be had for a reasonable price and in the end you will be money ahead. Just my thoughts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts