Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am really interested in buying a stock for my trap gun and am really looking for a stock that would have my head be more up right on the comb. I would like to here what stocks you guys think are the best, thank you.

·
Registered
400 Posts
No, you need more drop at the heel. Realize that the advice you receive here is worth what you pay for it. Also don't trust advice from those that cannot spell.

·
Registered
132 Posts
To get my head more upright with my Browning I added an adjustable comb with tall posts, added height to the rib, and added a pad adjuster to lower the pad.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What my POI is doesn't really matter to you, what matters is where your POI needs to be and only you can determine that. My POI can be adjusted to wherever I like by raising or lowering the comb. It's just like adjusting the rear sight on a rifle but the rear sight is your eyeball and where you put the comb determines where your eyeball is. That being said, don't try to aim a shotgun but adjust to comb so the gun shoots where you look.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'd start with a PFS. Once you get it where you like it, you can get a custom stock if you don't like the looks of pfs. PFS also gets you recoil reduction without the comb moving on your face.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Read the wadhopper thread and then adopt/adapt the kiner method of getting your face on the gun
What is the Kiner method of getting your face on the gun? Lester

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Do you think the PFS is better then the stock lock system right now those are the two I am looking at.
For your purposes, yes. Folks can debate he recoil absorption of the Stocklock over the PFS. But, if you're primarily trying to figure out what fits you best, the PFS has *tons* more adjustability than the Stocklock, and you can get a good used one for for about $850-1000, all day long, and you can put it on yourself. Meanwhile, Stocklocks don't show up used as often; start at $1500 new; and since it's wood-to-metal fit, might have to be fitted by a gunsmith.

If anything, if I were even considering a Stocklock as a permanent solution, I'd probably get a used PFS, shoot it for a while to figure out what fits, take those dimensions and order a Stocklock, then sell the PFS for not much less (if at all) than what I paid for it.

·
Administrator
8,659 Posts
What type of shotgun are you shooting? From your screen name it appears to be a bt 99.....? Do you have a adjustable butt plate ? They help get your gun to your face rather than bowing your neck to the comb to get the proper look over the muzzle. Depending on your physical build you might at some point depending on budget look towards a more adjustable trap shotgun with a taller rib...adjustable comb and butt plate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What type of shotgun are you shooting? From your screen name it appears to be a bt 99.....? Do you have a adjustable butt plate ? They help get your gun to your face rather than bowing your neck to the comb to get the proper look over the muzzle. Depending on your physical build you might at some point depending on budget look towards a more adjustable trap shotgun with a taller rib...adjustable comb and butt plate.
I am now shooting a browning unsingle with a adjustable comb. Do you think a adjustable butt plate would be a good thing to put on?

·
Administrator
8,659 Posts
I am now shooting a browning unsingle with a adjustable comb. Do you think a adjustable butt plate would be a good thing to put on?
I feel a adjustable butt plate is a great option to put on the stock of your browning. Ultimately to be able to bring the stock to your face rather than bring your face down to the stock in a exaggerate nod will help achieve what you would like to do gun fit wise. It might not get you totally there but have the adjustable butt plate will help a lot esp. if it is combined on a gracoil or a RAD recoil device.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I think I'd follow George's advice for two reasons. Number one, it's a cheaper way to go and number two, you may find out that a more heads-up style of shooting is not for you. Ask me how I know.

Steve

1 - 20 of 24 Posts