Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to have my Perazzi stock refinished. Is there anyone in So Cal that is really good at refinishing? I was going to send it to Wenig, but being so far away and there is a 7 week lead time. Looking for nice workmanship for a beautiful gun. Thanks!

·
Keystone Shooter
2,184 Posts
I just had my Japanese SKB GC7 stock refinished and it took 6 weeks, locally. My smith told me it takes multiple steps, with time in between, for the finish to cure. He put four or five coats on my stock, with sanding between coats. Final coat he buffed and polished. So you see it takes time to refinish. In my experience six to seven weeks seem common.

·
Registered
642 Posts
A friend sent his away and had it refinished for a very reasonable cost. The refinisher took it to bare wood removed the checkering and redid it to fewer lines for better grip and it came back beautiful. The Perazzis seem to have a pigment in the finish which can hide the grain. The refinished stock showed beautiful figure even as a standard grade. I don't remember the turn around being bad either.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
The creed of those who work on guns:

You can have 2 out of these 3:

Fast. Good. Cheap.

Stock work is no different. Any decent job, unless the finisher has literally nothing else to do, will take more time than you think it should.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Russell Deguesaldo? Is located in Colorado and does top work making or refinishing stocks.....
I have used several and the 3 items of fast, cheap, and good are a rare happening...
I have had Mitchell Chase in Missouri do several for me, along with Ozark stockworks and Al Jamison from Sullivan MO....

Your results may vary........merlyn

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've refinished a few stocks, and preparation is key to a good result. I've also recut chckering, and while it turned out well it took me forever. There is satisfaction in doing the work yourself, but depending on other demands on your time you may be better off sending it out to be done and trying to forget that it's in progress. As long as you have other guns to shoot, you will get a phone call or email that it's ready and then forget about the wait.

The earlier poster is absolutely right about "fast, cheap, good - pick two".

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would think that this is the busy time for gunsmiths & stock refinishers during the off season for a lot of trap shooters. Lead times may get stretched out a little more.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Doug Carpenter is a great guy and puts his soul into his work, bought my first Sporting Clay gun from him several years ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts