Trapshooters Forum banner

Stock Refinishing

4327 Views 33 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  teleskier
I do 15 to 20 stocks a year for the last 25 years so here is my method. First strip all the old finish off using a stripper agent, checkering and all. Mask off any plastic that you can't remove. Sanding is very important at this point, if dings or scratches are present sand them with the grain, carefully! I use 220 down to 400 wet or dry to remove all scratches. If it is a Franchi it is european walnut and usually hard enough you don't have to raise the grain with water and heat. Next decide on stain or not, that's up to you. If you do use good stain that penetrates and seals. Let dry for at least a day. I then mix tung oil and mineral spirits about 70/30 tung oil. Soak the wood and wipe off at least 2 times in a day. This will further seal the wood. I then start with Tru-Oil, follow directions(hint:use sparingly). Add till you're happy then let dry for 72 hrs. For gloss rub it down lightly with compound for satin use more compound. Work till you're happy. Let me know if you get into a snag. ftlupton
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,989 Posts
I have used a product, available through Brownells's, called Pro-Custom oil by Chem-Pak. It is a combination Tung oil and urethanes that makes for a beautiful and durable finish.

I understand that several professionals use it since it is easy and relatively fast drying and results in a georgous, deep finish.

Feather enough coats on then wet sand it with 1000 grit to eliminate orange peel. Buff it with auto rubbing compound for a satin look or finish the buffing with Meguire's haze remover for a deep, glass-like finish. It works great!

Smash Em,

Jerry

· Registered
1,989 Posts
zzt, since you have to cut some of it to fit you might as well remove it all. If it's the typical Perazzi finish it's a urethane and is stripped with any commercial stripper.

Do yourself a favor when you refinish it and use the Chem-Pak products listed in Brownell's that I mentioned above. They have both a rub on material and a spray can. They both contain tung oil and urethane.

I refinished my Perazzi with them and got a much better than factory finish.

Pictures please when you finish.

Smash Em,

Jerry

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.