Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
What TYPE of finish is on it NOW ?
An oil finish can usually be SPOT REPAIRED......a hard lacquer finish will most
Likely need to be stripped and completely refinished.....take MG’s advice !!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would avoid Wenig like the plague I'm sure there has to be a better option. Check with Phillips Gunsmiths if he can't do it he'll for sure know someone really competent to do it.

·
Premium Member
8,482 Posts
Sadly, this is 2020, and the great masters that did this for a song are long gone. Anyone capable of doing quality work today is overloaded with big ticket projects ($10,000.00 )and because of that you will be relegated to the back seat, and it is going to cost you a lot in cash and waiting time, so you likely won't be too happy with the final outcome. I take it you have no time to do it yourself? If you have checkering it complicates the picture for amature DIY . So a little more details can give everyone here a better idea what to recommend, but you can expect to pay upward of $750.00 for a respectable job, as this toto, is not 1966 anymore. Ask around the range and lgs for some homesmith that shows good results and ask them for some help will likely be your best chance outside of doing it yourself, but think with you in charge, you are at least guaranteed to be in the front of the line. Wish I could help more, but I have 7 jobs now pending for deserving people (older vets) here that I have promised to do, but at least I don't charge anything to anyone for my work, time, or materials, as I feel it is my duty to them for their sacrifice and service.
Best of luck
Aloha
PS if you do all the prep work, you could try a furniture repair shop to shoot the lacquer finish properly as they are very familiar with that finish.

PPS if you are willing to shell out the loot, try these guys you will not be dissapointed as to their superb quality. I just love their checkering, especially pattern 108, some of the finest you will ever see, and their Old English red root oil stock finish is to die for, and will leave your jaw hanging open! Take the time to peruse their gallery, it's like looking through the candy store window!!
Montana Custom Guns,handcrafted firearms-Polson, MT

1 - 20 of 30 Posts