Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that was shooting his Benelli 12 that he had shot for years without difficulty. However, he is now on Eliquis, an anticoagulant, and he got severely bruised. He got rid of the Benelli's and purchased a Beretta A400 20 gauge. I sent an email to Soft Touch but they have not responded. I would appreciate my shooting colleagues recommendations for stock Recoil devices, and if handy, pictures would be appreciated. Just trying to help an old gentleman stay in the game.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Charlie, you get an "attaboy" for trying to help your friend....
As a clinical pharmacist, if this fellow came into my practice and told me the "severe bruising" story, my initial thoughts would be focused on a possible situation of being over medicated. In all honesty, given the simplicity of the patient management considerations for folks on these types of anticoagulants, being over medicated is a bit of a stretch on my part. However, it's also the simplicity that sets us up for the pitfall. Any incidents of the type of bruising he is describing, need to be discussed with his doctor.It would be a shame for this fellow to have a major bleeding event while his attention is fixed on his gun.

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Charlie, you get an "attaboy" for trying to help your friend....
As a clinical pharmacist, if this fellow came into my practice and told me the "severe bruising" story, my initial thoughts would be focused on a possible situation of being over medicated. In all honesty, given the simplicity of the patient management considerations for folks on these types of anticoagulants, being over medicated is a bit of a stretch on my part. However, it's also the simplicity that sets us up for the pitfall. Any incidents of the type of bruising he is describing, need to be discussed with his doctor.It would be a shame for this fellow to have a major bleeding event while his attention is fixed on his gun.
As far as I know, there isn't a very good measure for Eliquis. I've operated on many people on Eliquis, Reminds me of one of my quotes, " Jesus turned the water into wine, Eliquis turned the blood into water". They do like to bleed, I'd rather they be on Coumadin than Eliquis. However, you may be right, he might need a smaller dose. I'm not his cardiologist, just an ancillary physician.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Weight is an issue with the sub gauge a400s.
After forearm and stock weights, I got mine
up to 7.4 lbs. Much tamer. bob

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Doc something new out called Falconstrike that is in the recoil pad.
There is a thread about it by Harv Shell.
Might be worth a read.
BTW, how the hell are you?

·
Registered
932 Posts
I reload 3/4 ounce 20 ga loads for my wife. AA hulls, AA 209 primers, 14.5 grains of Alliant 20/28 gives 1200 fps at 7200 psi and 14.5 grains of Green Dot gives 1200 fps at 9940 psi, and CB 1075-20 wad. The 20/28 load cycles her Beretta 303 just fine. This is a very light recoil load and might be a consideration for your friend. JPM

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been an awful day. Governor Beshear mandated that even medical offices essentially shut down.
My friend doesn't reload.

Reactions: o-hale

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My friend only shoots at attacking feather beasts (doves and pheasants).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts