Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently fired a shotgun with the Soft Touch type butt stock recoil system. Had the single long thin center piece between butt plate and stock plate not the three rods. You could mount the shotgun and then pull back and the shotgun would pull back in towards the butt pad (measured one inch travel). I like to pull the gun in tight when I shoot. On a straightaway I pulled back a little just as I went to fire and the gun actually pulled back before it went off causing me to miss right. Surprised me when it moved just as I was about to shoot. Is this normal with this type of recoil system or did I put to much pressure on it. If that is the case I would have to hold the gun much more softly that I am used too.

·
Registered
365 Posts
the spring tension on the gracoil is adjustable. set it tight enough that it does not collapse when you mount the gun

·
Registered
131 Posts
I own a gun with a Gracoil and I like it. However, I recently shot one with the Softtouch and there is no comparison but you have to get the spring set the way you like it. Of course there is a huge difference in cost with the Softtouch being much more expensive. It also has the advantage that the comb doesn't move against y0ur face.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Gracoil works great but does add weight to the rear of gun. Isis is also a great unit and adds no weight. Soft touch adds weight and cost a lot more. You can change springs or adj with any of them to help to not collapse on mount.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
You don't want to be guessing how tight to hold your gun. I'd go with more tension until it stopped happening. Even a "stiff" device will absorb a "lot" of the recoil. You don't want it collapsing when you're tracking the target. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
No substitute for proper gun fitting and a.gun that fits will have less perception of recoil.

I would go with stock positioning systems with the sliding comb.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
On the soft touch system, you can double up on the springs if 1 spring does not have enough tension.
I could not shoot trap these days without a recoil reducing device.
I like my soft touch a lot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Spend the extra money and get a Stock Lock. I have a SPS CIRS on a TM1 that Tron did it's nice but there is no comparison to the Stock Lock I have on the K80.

·
Administrator
8,523 Posts
Ultimately there are a lot of choices and the majority of them you can regulate the tension and how they compress. If you mount the shotgun tight and hard a Stock Lok would be a great choice.
To me it does not take long to get used to any of the recoil unit that I have on my trap guns.
I like the RAD 2 for over all adjustment for tension and LOP and the Gracoil is easy to work with also.
My favorite is the Soft Touch on my Ljutic Mono, I have no problem with over compression/it is the moving comb version. The only thing is being able to adjust the LOP as easily as say a Gracoil or a Rad 2.
I owned a stock lock and one time and like it but not as much as the Soft Touch.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Or you could get the most reliable, maintenance free system out there. I'm talking about the fabulous ProSoft stock, made by Phil Simms in Glade Park, Colorado.

I getting up there in age, I'll turn 80 in November . Old men like me are usually not good at absorbing recoil. I just returned from the Grand where I used Winchester Super Handicap shells and from the 26 yard line felt no recoil from my Perazzi TMX with ProSoft stock. Scores for last three handicaps were 94,94,95.

ProSoft stocks are the absolute best I have ever used. They are held by a magnet, recoil breaks the magnet at around 45 lbs. then the spring and hydraulic cylinder Cushion the recoil and return the cylinder to the magnet.

Tom Strunk

·
2,755 Posts
I, too, now have a Simms ProSoft which came on a new-to-me Silver Seitz I purchased at the
Grand from Bob Schultz, Target Shotguns.

No felt recoil, no maintenance, great fit-what more could one ask?

Bob

·
Registered
278 Posts
I personally now also have used a Phil Sim's ProSoft stock for the last 5 years or so. A GREAT piece of equipment! Over the years I've used Cary Comb, Soft Touch, and RAD systems on my guns. I installed GraCoils and RAD Systems for many years. We are talking about way different price points with these recoil reduction devices or stocks. I've seen them all and my personal recommendations are a RAD System for the moderate price point ($400-$500) and the ProSoft for the premium price point ($3000 or so). But don't forget that with the ProSoft you also get a custom stock made just for you along with a great recoil reduction system. Best of both worlds.

I'm not quite to Tom Strunk's age, but I do agree with him that the older we get the more we have to look at our own comfort level to keep enjoying this game. Choose the best device you can afford.

Greg

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a question to add to this discussion. Does the bump buster compress if you pull your gun in tite? O have been debating on one of those for awhile now also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts