Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can't shoot because of Covid restrictions, so what is a trapshooter to do with all this extra time on his hands?

First step: shorten LOP a bit, and change the pitch to suit my chest a little better..

Step 2: Take my buddy up on his offer to cut me an adjustable comb. (Great job Don!!)

He also inlets and installs the comb hardware for me too.

Step 3: Don tells me that I should try a "roll over style" comb. He has a piece of walnut he thinks should match pretty well, so he rough cuts me one to the same profile as the original comb he cut off my stock. (But I have to finish it).

Step 4: Shape, rasp, file and sand the new roll over comb to my liking.

Original comb beside my new roll over style.

Step 5: More sanding, grain filling, and application of finish

Grain is pretty much filled at this point...

Now to keep applying finish to get the gloss look I admire...

I sure do appreciate my friend Dons help with these modifications.

The finishing is taking a lot of time, but the clubs are all closed here because of Covid, so it is nice to have something to look forward to do on the weekend.

I'll post a few more pictures if anyone is interested. It really is starting to shine nicely, the more finish coats I apply.

Cheers,
James

Attachments

·
Registered
32,275 Posts
Very well done!

Reactions: james01 and rrp

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is meant by "grain filling?"
Raw wood has pores in the grain, just like your face has pores in it. These little holes and cracks will suck in the varnish or oil that you apply to the wood, giving it a rough looking appearance.

To get a nice smooth surface, the grain and pores of the wood must be filled in and sanded smooth to the same level as the surrounding surfaces.

In my case, I applied tru oil to the stock, and sanded it while it was wet with finish, producing a slurry of tru oil and fine sawdust (looks like gravy). This slurry of varnish and sawdust is then worked into the pores of the wood to fill them up.

In this case, I had to do the process about 4 or 5 times to completely fill the grain, letting each application dry before starting to wet sand again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What finish did you use? Spray or hand rubbed?
I used Birchwood Caseys Tru oil.

I wet sanded and hand rubbed the first of many coats on. Knocked down imperections in the finish between coats with a fine 3m scotchbrite pad (similar to 0000 steel wool).

Then I bought myself an air brush kit and little compressor to spray it on. I am still experimenting with it, but I like it so far. No fingerprints or wavy lines are left behind like can happen when hand rubbing.

Cheers,
James

·
Registered
33 Posts
Our clubs here in Australia were closed for a few months at the beginning of the China virus but we have been back shooting since July last year. Couldn’t have waited much longer. Amazing how much you miss shooting until somebody stops you from doing it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts