Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps this should go in the gunsmithing section and, if so, my apologies. I am undertaking a project with a Winchester Super X. I have acquired a field grade gun with a bare receiver that will be engraved when I choose the engraver. I have spoken with three engravers to date. Two have been very free with their time, comments, and suggestions I’m discussing what I’d like to have done. One said he was too busy and didn’t want to mess with it. Hopefully I’ll soon send the receiver and barrel off to begin the engraving process.

As part of the total project I’ll also be looking for a very nice stock and forearm to compliment the gun. I have several guns that I feel have stocks that fit me well. However, I don’t have another Super X With a stock that fits me. If I did, I could ask a stock maker to duplicate an existing stock. Without having a Super X receiver to mate the wood to can I tell a stock maker to duplicate the dimensions from another gun and expect the result to fit me on the Super X like it does, say, on a K80, a Remington, 3200, or a Beretta 391 ? I.e. DAC 1 3/8”, LOP 14 3/4”, DAH, 1 1/2”, etc.

Since there is no gun to put the wood on, how does the stockmaker now how to fit the wood to the receiver to obtain the proper dimensions ? Could I send a K80 stock and say “this one fits me great on a K80, now make a stock that will fit me the same for a Super X (?). Ideally I could be getting the wood part of the project completed while Im having the engraving done. Or, do I have to wait for the engraving to be completed and then have the stock work completed, this delaying the completion of the gun ?

Hoping some folks have gone through this process and can provide some counsel on how to approach this challenge.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
The stock maker would need the complete gun that fits so he could measure your offset off the CL of the rib. The LOP, palm curvature, front and rear of comb, drop at heal and drop off the comb will be different off the SX1 frame than a K-80. Problem solved if the stock maker has a SX-1 and a K-80 to measure from and even better yet if he's familiar with both guns. Tom Smith is, but he's in Fla now. PM me and I'll give you his phone #.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Amboy, have patience and wait until you get the gun back from the engraver. Then go to the stockmaker for a few fittings until you are comfortable with your stock dimensions. Then you need to leave him the gun so after he completes the stock he can inlet the metal. If I read your post correctly you were looking for him to work on the gun while the engraver has the iron. Joe

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a a couple of sx1s. The stocks happen to fit me and are stunning.

Find a cheap stock on ebay and go the bondo/sanding route. Do a search for andybull on this site. He has a a great thread on this. Then send it off to the stock maker and have him duplicate.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Seems to me you should get the stock made before you do the engraving. You're going to have to handle the gun a lot to get the stock fitting done and sh*t happens

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Buy a second receiver and have the stock made to that, if your stockmaker doesn't have a house receiver he uses.

It will be impossible to make a stock to your dimensions without having a receiver and barrel to take those dimensions off of. You're asking someone to measure something without giving them that thing to measure. The only way it would be possible is if the stockmaker has a CNC program and can modify it easily to add or remove wood, but that'd be difficult to do on anything with wholly custom dimensions.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Skeet man is on the right track.

What I would do is buy a cheap beat up gun that is complete and then have a stock fitter/ maker bondo it up to get a perfect fit and then use that bondo stock as a pattern.
You might also want to make a custom forend. I did on mine as I prefer a thinner width so my hand is closer to the centerline of the barrel.

When you are done with the fitting and testing you can keep the cheap gun for spares or sell the components as parts.
Do be aware that all SX-1 barrels do not have the same POI.

CT

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Yep, buy a cheap replacement stock and a can of Bondo. Fill, sand, and fit it to your liking. This way you can shape the grip right to your hand, and obtain all dimensions YOU are looking for. Shoot the gun for a month making adjustments by adding and subtracting Bondo as needed, then send the pattern stock off for duplication, while the metal is sent to the engraver.

I put Bondo on the grip area, spray some cooking spray release on plastic wrap, then place it over the soft Bondo. I then grip the gun carefully while holding it out level like in the shooting position. Having a rest helps because it takes about three minutes to start setting up enough to let the gun down. Let the Bondo set hard, then peel the plastic wrap off. I sand the rough edges off then fill in all the voids and cracks then sand smooth while tapering the Bondo off into the grip to shape the stock. A custom fit grip area is an amazing feeling when it is in your hand.

Also, make a roll over comb, or one that does not leave a pressure point on your cheek. Spread the curve out, so even pressure in spread out over the whole cheek. If you are going for a custom fit stock, make it totally your own. Not just how and where it shoots.

Reactions: sean justice
1 - 9 of 9 Posts