1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
worth every penny

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Dennis DeVault for the win!! Whenever time permits, I too will be making a trip to his shop for a custom stock.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just picked up my second custom stock by Dennis and his crew and couldn't be more happy again with the outcome. Cindy's checkering really wowed me this time ,as I didn't thing it could be nicer !

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
There are lots of good stock makers, but getting it fitted properly is the tough part. You can't be fitted correctly if you are not consistent on your routine and barrel placement.

That's why many custom stocks have adjustable combs!

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
Give Chris Vendel a call. I hear he's got that duplicator running full speed and his prices tend to be very reasonable. Besides, he knows a little bit of how to shoot a shotgun too!!

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
If you want it to fit, and be drop dead gorgeous, Dennis Devault in Canton is where you need to be. It will fit you perfectly, and shoot where you are looking.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
A proper fitting for a custom stock takes at least a whole day--any less you're getting short changed. If you're getting an off the shelf stock that is adjustable--you're not getting a stock thats made for you.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
He wrote the book, Harlan Campbells stock was originally designed by Dennis DeVault, the Wenig is a copy.

Phil Berkowitz
Do you have any facts to back this statement up? Dennis might have built a stock or two for Harlan, but he certainly didn't 'design' it. Dennis is a heck of a craftsman and builds amazing stocks but your statement is not correct.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It will take a day to fit properly, and the builder must take you to a range
to shoot to be sure all fits well. Dennis does all of this, and more.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Harlan, Joe Goldberg & Dennis were a team @ one time. Harlan was shooting a Mach one @ that time. With Harlan skill he decided to go one his own. He got sponsored by Krieghoff & had Wenig make a stock patterned after the stock on the Machone.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Harlan, Joe Goldberg & Dennis were a team @ one time. Harlan was shooting a Mach one @ that time. With Harlan skill he decided to go one his own. He got sponsored by Krieghoff & had Wenig make a stock patterned after the stock on the Machone.

Phil Berkowitz
This is pretty much entirely incorrect. Dennis did build stocks for Harlan but I think Harlan has the knowledge to tell the stockmaker how to build what he wants, not the other way around.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
After,Dennis went to Wenig he was shooting a new stock @ the Silver $--the stock was beating him up so bad he didn't think he could finsih the Grand----Joe Goldberg calls Dennis & after umpteen hours Dennis walks Joe thru the fitting process to make the stock usable.

Now if you think I pulled this story out of my butt-have at it-- Harlan is a great shooter--but he is not a stock fitter

This story is from the horses mouth-case closed--Harlan could not have finished the Grand with the stock he was shooting if it wasn't for Dennis.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I am not responding to this thread again but from what I can make out of your convoluted story you are again incorrect. You also show your ignorance by saying Harlan isn't a gunfitter. He is, in my opinion, the best gunfitter in the country. I would be willing to make a large wager that he has fit more shooters in the last 10 years than Dennis, Joe, and you have combined.

If you want the horses mouth call Harlan and ask him. I have. Otherwise just settle for the other end.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
At this point you have lost all credibility-its a shame that you did not do your homework-Harlan is a shooter , he is not a gun fitter.

He can;t come close to Dennis or Joe--believe what you want --the facts I have stated are just that facts.

Dennis is the premier gun fitter- customers do not fly in from all over the world to ask Harlan-to make and fit a stock for them.

Phil Berkowitz

1 - 20 of 37 Posts