Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to clean and maintain our wood stocks between shooting sessions, especially with the summer bringing sweaty skin in contact with the comb and fore end?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Maybe put a coat of Ren wax periodically?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I like the Renaissance have been using it for years. I do try to keep it out of the checkering as much as possible. A old tooth brush works fine.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I feel that if one was to use a blow dryer on warm setting that would alleviate the issue with getting the REN was in there. Agreed if it is in the checkering it isn’t pretty but much like my bowstrings to aid in getting the wax I use a blow dryer on a warm setting and problem solved

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I wipe stocks down with G-96 spray. I remember a couple years ago asking the Caesar Guerini gunsmith what to use on my CG Challenger, and he said to spray a cloth, wait 5 minutes for the propellant to evaporate, then wipe it. Works great. I don't have the CG any more, but still use the G-96...........

Ric

·
Registered
70 Posts
Be vary careful when cleaning a hi-gloss stock. Beautiful yes but also a little frail. Nothing is better than a dry or almost - dry lint free cloth. Stay away from anything chemical if you are not VERY sure of the finish.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From what I can gather, most all of you are suggesting that nothing need be done between each application of wax/preservative..... no matter how much sweat and skin oil comes in contact with the wood from the shooters hands and face.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts