Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Stock Lock system reduce recoil to the face? I have changed the pitch, changed LOP and installed a soft top, but nothing works. I don't want to shoot reduced loads. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
547 Posts
All I can say is, my SL has no face slap at all, in fact going to have another built for one of my other guns.
Then again, I had no face slap with original stock either.

·
Registered
595 Posts
if i was you i would go see a stock fitter being your having problems with face slap and get that problem fixed before spending a lot of money on a stock
What Steve said - you may have a "fit" problem.. get that resolved first.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Some guns just whack your face. Do I know why...NO. But, they do. Pitch is generally the cause or lifting your head or both. But, then it could just be that particular gun?

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,240 Posts
Does the Stock Lock system reduce recoil to the face? I have changed the pitch, changed LOP and installed a soft top, but nothing works. I don't want to shoot reduced loads. Any feedback would be appreciated.
In general, yes. My father got one and it completely eliminated his cheek pain. But a well fitted stock will do the same generally. Stock lock or not, it has to fit. If you get a stocklock or a prosoft, they can (and will) fit you too.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Jerry Nelson (AKA Country Gentleman) was a great guy to have fit a gun stock. Jerry always said,"if it does not fit you, it will hit you". Jerry is gone from us now, but his son Todd who worked with his dad has taken over the business. GENERALLY, face slap is caused by incorrect pitch. Dave Berlet has a very good U TUBE out there on pitch. Check that out.

·
Administrator
8,650 Posts
what type of shotgun and shells are you using. It would help the forum members give you more input. More than likely there is a forum member who has had a similar issue with the make and model shotgun you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This Video will solve your Check Slap problem !!!

Thank you for all your replies. I have a Kolar TA Max Hi combo. I have added 1/4" neg. pitch. It helped some, but still uncomfortable. I had Kolar add the soft top. Again, it helps, but still uncomfortable. If I shoot 100 Winchester Super Target in light 8 or 7 1/2, I have a sore cheekbone.

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
So, did you put a nickel in at the bottom of the stock between the pad and wood ? Did you test fire it ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I tried more pitch and less pitch and still hits my face. Tried the O/U barrels, still the same. Not sure what to try next.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have had cheek slap with almost every gun I have owned and fought the same battle as you. What fixed it for me was increasing my LOP and flipping my pitch spacer to where the thin end was at the top. I can shoot 400 a day now, before I was not able to finish 200 without a bruise. I worked out my issues by playing with a Precision Fit Stock. Mirrored the measurements on my original stock and the pain was gone.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Jerry Nelson (AKA Country Gentleman) was a great guy to have fit a gun stock. Jerry always said,"if it does not fit you, it will hit you". Jerry is gone from us now, but his son Todd who worked with his dad has taken over the business. GENERALLY, face slap is caused by incorrect pitch. Dave Berlet has a very good U TUBE out there on pitch. Check that out.
I had Todd Nelson fit my gun. It was the best money I spent and waited way too long to do it. He’s pretty reasonable and I am sure he could figure your situation out . There are some guns that just won’t work for some body types and all the fitting in the world won’t fix it. Todd will be able to tell you if that’s the case. He will also be able to tell you what type of gun would be a better match for your build .

fwiw, I only know one person that was told by Todd that he couldn’t make the gun fit him.

Rollin Oswald recommends him.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you guys figure it out please post. I have the exact same issue with my Kolar Max TA. Soft comb, pitch, pad adjuster nothing works to get rid of the face slap.

·
Premium Member
6,007 Posts
So I tried more pitch and less pitch and still hits my face. Tried the O/U barrels, still the same. Not sure what to try next.
Weight forward with legs slightly bent at knees (ie don't put your weight on heels when in shooting stance).

·
Premium Member
4,600 Posts
You can lock on the stock and have cheek weld without cramping your cheekbone hard on the wood.
Make the comb push the fleachey part of your face making a firm and repeatable mount that wont whack you.
And install a 8 ounce dead mule.

And of coarse a stock lock or my favorite a pro soft should most definitely help if it fits you.
Henry

1 - 20 of 27 Posts